The Allcock Aerial Identification Tool

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
Hovis
Tench

Re: The Allcock Aerial Identification Tool

Post by Hovis »

Rod this is SUPERB, what an amazing reference guide. Really appreciate the effort that's gone to produce this.
I have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing.

Izaak Walton

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Well done Rod, a really useful identification tool. Many thanks for the time and effort involved in making it.

Wal.

Banksy
Brown Trout

Post by Banksy »

That's superb, thanks for all your work on this.
The photographs alone are the stuff of dreams!

Wakou
Rudd

Post by Wakou »

This is an excellent thread/post thing, @Rod Fisher and must have taken a good deal of work and expertise! Thank you!

Rod Fisher
Silver Bream

Post by Rod Fisher »

Hovis wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 9:42 am Rod this is SUPERB, what an amazing reference guide. Really appreciate the effort that's gone to produce this.
Wallys-Cast wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 2:23 pm Well done Rod, a really useful identification tool. Many thanks for the time and effort involved in making it.

Wal.
Banksy wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 4:20 pm That's superb, thanks for all your work on this.
The photographs alone are the stuff of dreams!
Wakou wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 9:25 pm This is an excellent thread/post thing, @Rod Fisher and must have taken a good deal of work and expertise! Thank you!
Thank you gents. :Hat:
"Keep out of sight. Trout has no eyebrows and can see up." - Forest and Stream 1904.

“A man may read books and get the best advice possible, but he will profit little by one or the other without practice.” - William Bailey

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

In my 1966 catalogue there is a C344 - Sea Aerial 4.5in - have I missed that in your excellent guide?

Rod Fisher
Silver Bream

Post by Rod Fisher »

Olly wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:19 pm In my 1966 catalogue there is a C344 - Sea Aerial 4.5in - have I missed that in your excellent guide?
Thanks for pointing that out. C344 is a 4½” Aerial made from "salt-resistant zinc-based alloy", listed in the 1965 and 1966 Guides. In the earlier Guides the same reel was given the catalogue number C815, so the reel appears to be indistinguishable from the ordinary 4½” C815 (i.e. it's the same reel). The description for the C815 in the spinning section explains: "the 4½” 'Aerial' is specially proofed against salt-corrosion and may therefore be used for sea fishing." Also, both 4½” reels are listed at the same price.

Similarly, the 1938 and 1939 Guides list a 7950S 4" "Allcock Aerial" Sea Reel (De luxe model), made of the special anti-corrosive alloy used for the "Allcock-Bell" reel, which Singleton dismisses as a black painted T10.

There are other issues.
  • In the Guides, the C815 is illustrated with an image of the 7950-T10 until 1955.
  • Singleton lists the 8902 Aerial Popular as being produced until 1962, but I haven't seen any evidence it was made after the war.
Last edited by Rod Fisher on Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Keep out of sight. Trout has no eyebrows and can see up." - Forest and Stream 1904.

“A man may read books and get the best advice possible, but he will profit little by one or the other without practice.” - William Bailey

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Very interesting! Neither included in the 1967 catalogue. So production ended then? Taken over by the 'New Match Aerial' in 1966 catalogue.

In the 1966 catalogue the 'Sea Aerial' C344 is in the 'Sea Reels' - it is also in the chapter "Anglers Guide to Tackle for Spinning" under 'Centre-pin & Level Wind Spinning Reels' section where it appears along with the 3.75in C342. And categorically states 'The 4.5in model only is protected against salt corrosion'.

At 4.5in now more applicable to barbel/trotting than ""casting sea leads up to 6oz"" - something I would not like to try! Seemingly a rare reel.

Thanks Rod Fisher for a big insight to Aerial reels!

Rod Fisher
Silver Bream

Post by Rod Fisher »

Olly wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 1:42 pm Seemingly a rare reel.

Thanks Rod Fisher for a big insight to Aerial reels!
Not rare at all. Every 4½" C815 from about 1955 to 1966 was proofed against salt water corrosion. The introduction of the C344 designation was only a change in catalogue number, with no change in the reel, as far as I can tell.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Well having only seen very few for sale on eBay in 20 years - I would class the 4.5in - whether proofed or not - as rare or rather unusual, certainly less availability than the 3.75in reels.

Thanks again for the info.

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”