Maurice Wiggin

Discuss all your fishing books & magazines here.
Velossembly
Stickleback

Maurice Wiggin

Post by Velossembly »

Has anyone read either “The Passionate Angler” or “Fishing for Beginners” by Maurice Wiggin? I’ve owned a copy of his “Fly Fishing” for many years and enjoy the style so much that I would never part with it, though it emphasises the benefits of silk lines and gut casts. Well, it was published in 1958.
Maurice Wiggins’ other books include “My Court Casebook” and “In Spite of the Price of Hay”, neither of which have I read but they both sound fascinating.
BB.

Martin James
Tench

Re: Maurice Wiggin

Post by Martin James »

I have several Maurice Wiggin books Passionate Angler, A cottage Idyll, Troubled Waters, etc etc all are very good reading.

Banksy
Brown Trout

Post by Banksy »

I had nobody to guide me when I started angling with rod & line as a child. So I was delighted when my parents bought me a copy of Fishing for Beginners in about 1960.
I still have that book, and can quote long passages from it, such was the influence it had on me.
There is one piece of advice offered, which I have steadfastly refused to put into action. If you hook a large fish, and think that you are likely to be broken … throw your rod into the water! This will tire the fish out, and the chances are you’ll be able to retrieve your rod later.

Shropshire Lad
Perch

Post by Shropshire Lad »

The passionate angler is my favourite book and the book which was the inspiration for the name of the tv series a passion for angling .

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

Indeed, Maurice it appears has been lost in many conversations regarding the ‘great’ angling writers of yesteryear. Unlike others he was a very accomplished writer outside of his angling interests, and was on par with the likes of ‘BB’ for his enthusiasm in other fields of interest. He also took you by (in my case) pleasant surprises, that revealed him as a very passionate, thoughtful and caring individual - well ahead of his time in many respects. My personal favourite is A Cottage Idyll.
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Velossembly
Stickleback

Post by Velossembly »

A brilliant example of his wit, Banksy. My own book contains advice like: “Put up your rod…. Anoint those ferrules with a film of good oil… simply by rubbing them in the hair at the back of your neck”. Priceless!

I have just ordered a used copy of “Fishing for Beginners” via ebay and then was lured into buying “My Court Casebook” (well, buying two books gave me 15% discount). Something to give me a laugh whilst waiting for a bite in icy January?

BB.

DaceAce
Eel

Post by DaceAce »

I have most of his books; I recommend Passionate Angler, Troubled Waters, In Spite of the Price of Hay.

Velossembly
Stickleback

Post by Velossembly »

Thanks for the recommendations DaceAce. I am certainly “angling” towards “In Spite of the Price of Hay” as well; the title alone has the lure of a March Brown.
BB.

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

There's another book called Faces at the Window or through the window or maybe in the window?

Velossembly
Stickleback

Post by Velossembly »

You were right with “Faces at the Window” Catfish. I’ve ordered a used copy via ebay for under £4 including post.

The “Passionate Angler” books seem to fetch in excess of £30, so the recent reprint by Medlar Press at £21 + post is much more attractive.

BB.

Return to “Fishing Books and Magazines”