Hello from North Yorkshire

Just joined the Traditional Fisherman's Forum, why not pop into this forum and introduce yourself.
Santiago
Wild Carp

Re: Hello from North Yorkshire

Post by Santiago »

Welcome to the forum. My mother's family come from Helmsley and I spent quite a few days of my childhood playing in the river Rye and walking it's banks by the old saw mill. And one of my uncles is buried in the beautiful cemetery at Sinnington. Needless to say that I have fond memories of that area, including watching wild brown trout from top of the bridge in Helmsley. I only wish I could afford to live in that part of the country.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Ericsbeetle
Stickleback

Post by Ericsbeetle »

Santiago wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 12:08 pm Welcome to the forum. My mother's family come from Helmsley and I spent quite a few days of my childhood playing in the river Rye and walking it's banks by the old saw mill. And one of my uncles is buried in the beautiful cemetery at Sinnington. Needless to say that I have fond memories of that area, including watching wild brown trout from top of the bridge in Helmsley. I only wish I could afford to live in that part of the country.
I have fished a couple of Sections of the Rye , I used to be in the NESS syndicate but it was to heavily stocked for my taste. These days I fish a small club that has the beat around the old Railway bridge at Nunnington. Its a very pretty river with some fine fish

O M W

Phil Arnott
Chub

Post by Phil Arnott »

Hi EricsBeetle - I too have fished the Dove, Severn, Rye and Driffield Beck. I used to rent a stretch at East Ness on the Rye and ran it as a small club.

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Enjoy the Forum Ericsbeetle..
your find plenty to read and talk about and what a wealth of experience there is among the members.

Mr B
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Ericsbeetle
Stickleback

Post by Ericsbeetle »

Phil Arnott wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 1:50 pm Hi EricsBeetle - I too have fished the Dove, Severn, Rye and Driffield Beck. I used to rent a stretch at East Ness on the Rye and ran it as a small club.
Phil

Was that the Ness syndicate ? I was a member when Mick Turnbull ran it.

Eric

Phil Arnott
Chub

Post by Phil Arnott »

Hi Eric,

I rented the lower stretch from Mick Turnbull for about three years. This was the water below the Riccall Mouth. I did attend the Club Event day a couple of times.

My diary entries below - All fish were returned of course and both fly and bait were used.

23-6-2000 River Rye East Ness 10 grayling 10 brownies,4 dace

5-4-2002 River Rye East Ness 6 grayling 7 trout

19-4-2002 River Rye East Ness 6 grayling 6 brown trout

I fished the Hull & District stretch at Butterwick a lot in the past and fished York Amalgamation stretches of the Rye and Severn. I also fished the Dove with a day ticket and with a member. I also once fished at Hawnby and caught a lot of small trout on wet fly. I've fished Driffield Beck on the Driffield Anglers stretch, the West Beck Preservation stretch, what is now Skerne Wetlands and also a lower stretch.

I have an very old picture of the Rye at Nunnington showing the old foot bridge. If you would like a copy email me at philarnott@btinternet.com

Phil

SkimmingTheCream
Chub

Post by SkimmingTheCream »

Welcome to the TFF Ericsbeetle

Ericsbeetle
Stickleback

Post by Ericsbeetle »

Phil Arnott wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:58 pm Hi Eric,

I rented the lower stretch from Mick Turnbull for about three years. This was the water below the Riccall Mouth. I did attend the Club Event day a couple of times.

My diary entries below - All fish were returned of course and both fly and bait were used.

23-6-2000 River Rye East Ness 10 grayling 10 brownies,4 dace

5-4-2002 River Rye East Ness 6 grayling 7 trout

19-4-2002 River Rye East Ness 6 grayling 6 brown trout

I fished the Hull & District stretch at Butterwick a lot in the past and fished York Amalgamation stretches of the Rye and Severn. I also fished the Dove with a day ticket and with a member. I also once fished at Hawnby and caught a lot of small trout on wet fly. I've fished Driffield Beck on the Driffield Anglers stretch, the West Beck Preservation stretch, what is now Skerne Wetlands and also a lower stretch.

I have an very old picture of the Rye at Nunnington showing the old foot bridge. If you would like a copy email me at philarnott@btinternet.com

Phil
I am surprised we have never bumped into each other , I was in Ness in the very late 90s , I fish the Dove just below Kirkbymoorside its the stretch at Keldholme I am treasurer there, The York stetch of the Rye is lovely . I am a member of the preservation water now . I imagine we know a lot of the same people.

Eric

AllRounder
Brown Trout

Post by AllRounder »

Wecome to the forum Eric

Ericsbeetle
Stickleback

Post by Ericsbeetle »

Hi everyone and thanks for the warm welcome

Return to “New Member Information and Welcome”