J.W. Young Purist ll, 2001

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
Wakou
Rudd

J.W. Young Purist ll, 2001

Post by Wakou »

Hi folks, in a recent bout of bored/beer-fuelled auction bidding, I bought, (along with some rubbish!) A 'J.W. Young Purist ll'
And jolly nice it is too. It has been loaded with line, but I doubt has seen much, if any actual riverbank action. Now, for something which was quite expensive when new (2001 Model 2041), and not much less now, I am perhaps a bit picky.. but there is an ever-so-slight rumble or graunch. Probably too slight to record with a phone, but distinctly noticeable, both by ear and feel. Any suggestions? I have given the pin a clean and dribbled some fresh oil on it. I have made a tentative adjustment of the end-float, but am reluctant to be too heavy-handed...
I know that the "spin-test" is not a guide to actual usability, but this one runs for approx 30s....

Watermole+
Chub

Re: J.W. Young Purist ll, 2001

Post by Watermole+ »

It sounds very much like ball-race failure; something quite common on reels of this type.
If you can live with it, it will be alright to use, but if it is the ballraces-and if you can 'feel' it I suspect that it is-, the noise will never get any better.

They are not difficult to replace and you buy new ones easily online. You will need to push one off the central shaft first though and measure the outside diameter, the inside diameter (bore) and overall thickness first; all dimensions in millimetres.
Buy replacements with sealed-for-life sides, which prevents grit getting in.

"Spin tests" are meaningless to be honest; the only purpose they serve is to wear out the reel faster. There is no fishing scenario that requires any reel to run at speed for more than a few seconds-but it is highly desirable for a reel to pay out under the lightest possible load.

Hope that you can get it fixed up soon..
Send a PM if you need any help..

wm+

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

Wakou
Rudd

Post by Wakou »

Thank you Watermole! I was a bit concerned, and having recently emailed Gary Mills on another, unrelated issue, with no reply, I called him..
The legend himself answered!
A delightful East-Midlands accent, and reasurrance that there was nothing to worry about. He asked for the exact date.. "before April 2001?" Yes..February .. "That was one of mine" etc..

Wakou
Rudd

Post by Wakou »

"The lady who deals with that end of things sometimes shows me some of them" And "I noticed she was sending some repair-kits out today, was one for you?"

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Wakou wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 5:24 pm Thank you Watermole! I was a bit concerned, and having recently emailed Gary Mills on another, unrelated issue, with no reply, I called him..
A delightful East-Midlands accent, and reasurrance that there was nothing to worry about. He asked for the exact date.. "before April 2001?" Yes..February .. "That was one of mine" etc..
Gary really is one of the nicest, most helpful people I’ve ever met. However, the accent is a Black Country one as far as I know. I studied History with 2 lads from the Black Country and was led to believe that the accent, together with a lot of very distinctive dialect words, has a unique development from a very specific local language in what we used to call the Dark Ages.
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Wakou
Rudd

Post by Wakou »

Duckett wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 5:39 pm
Wakou wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 5:24 pm Thank you Watermole! I was a bit concerned, and having recently emailed Gary Mills on another, unrelated issue, with no reply, I called him..
Gary really is one of the nicest, most helpful people I’ve ever met. However, the accent is a Black Country one as far as I know. I studied History with 2 lads from the Black Country and was led to believe that the accent, together with a lot of very distinctive dialect words, has a unique development from a very specific local language in what we used to call the Dark Ages.
Ow! I used to have a highly-tuned ear regards accents, etc! I just assumed that he is a Redditch chap, and his accent was from thereabouts. I am happy to be corrected!
I once knocked on a door in a frankly horrible housing estate in NW London. A frail voice asked "hallo, oo is et?" I replied "I have a parcel for you, and you are from Braintree, Essex"
The elderly lady unbolted the door..
"ow did you knew that?"
(I grew up in Essex)

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Wakou wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 6:03 pm
Duckett wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 5:39 pm
Ow! I used to have a highly-tuned ear regards accents, etc! I just assumed that he is a Redditch chap, and his accent was from thereabouts. I am happy to be corrected!
I once knocked on a door in a frankly horrible housing estate in NW London. A frail voice asked "hallo, oo is et?" I replied "I have a parcel for you, and you are from Braintree, Essex"
The elderly lady unbolted the door..
"ow did you knew that?"
(I grew up in Essex)

Have to admit, you’ve set me thinking now! I grew up with a reasonably good accent ear having a Dad from Lancashire and a Mum with a genuine Wallasey (Wallazee) accent (that’s one I haven’t heard since she died) and, at one stage I could manage both! My problem is that has made me an accent sponge …….. I can just about do the accent of everywhere I’ve lived: Birkenhead, Lancaster, Leeds and east London. However, that itself can breed overconfidence!

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Wakou
Rudd

Post by Wakou »

We are straying from the path.... But I am thrilled! Who cannot love Alex Hartley commenting on cricket, with her pure North Lancs!

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Wakou wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 6:18 pm We are straying from the path.... But I am thrilled! Who cannot love Alex Hartley commenting on cricket, with her pure North Lancs!
So true! Ok, I was wrong! I just phoned an old friend from Kidderminster, also a Worcestershire town, and she tells me that the local accent is a highly distinctive variant on the West Midlands accent.

Phil

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

Wakou wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 6:18 pm We are straying from the path.... But I am thrilled! Who cannot love Alex Hartley commenting on cricket, with her pure North Lancs!
Not just North Lancs but NE Lancs and specifically Blackburn (different even from nearby towns such as Accrington and Burnley).
Iain

What is your favourite word?
I suspect it could be “love”, despite its drawbacks in the rhyming department.
Björn Ulvaeus

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”