Noisy Ratchet.

The Speedia Reels forum.
Mr B
Arctic Char

Noisy Ratchet.

Post by Mr B »

I was talking to a friend who pointed out that the my Speedia was running a little rough and that it might be an idea to quieten it down a bit. I agreed.
The tension on the ratchet spring is pretty full on so I wondered how much squeezing( to take the pressure off) they can take without breaking.
I have done the same thing to my Match Ariel and it's quietened things down nicely.
Some might say you want a noisy ratchet but there are limits.. a sweet tick tick is fine by me..
Your views gentles all.

Mr B
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Watermole+
Chub

Re: Noisy Ratchet.

Post by Watermole+ »

Squeezing springs is always a chancey business and has to be your call…

As you have found, sometimes it’s no problem but if the spring looks to be a bit thick in section, they can be unpredictable and go ‘ping’, leaving you with two parts!

You should be OK if the spring section is thin, but if the check is noisy, it points to a strong one; in which case, better to heat it through first to anneal it and re-temper after bending…

Best advice I can offer.

wm+

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Watermole+ wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 10:45 pm Squeezing springs is always a chancey business and has to be your call…

As you have found, sometimes it’s no problem but if the spring looks to be a bit thick in section, they can be unpredictable and go ‘ping’, leaving you with two parts!

You should be OK if the spring section is thin, but if the check is noisy, it points to a strong one; in which case, better to heat it through first to anneal it and re-temper after bending…

Best advice I can offer.

wm+
Sound advice there, thank you Watermole.
I will have another look at the spring and try another little bend, then if that doesn't work chew it over.. I might have to live with it or take the plunge and soften it and re temper it.. (I did a bit of tempering in our mettle work lessons at school. I wish my old dad was around he worked in iron all his life and used to make his own centre punches)
Interesting stuff.
Thanks again.

Mr B
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

Funnily enough one of the piscatorial raconteurs asked me the same question a week or two back as I have a bit of a thing about Speedias. I have in the past just given the spring a gentle squeeze with pliers and so far thankfully had no problems regarding breaks. Occasionally I’ve had to give the spring a couple of tweeks to get it just right…
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

They are quite soft as springs go and can be bent with pliers if you are careful, Youngs reels and Speedias included. Keep away from the tight bend where the spring is anchored to the reel and you should be ok.

I have loads of spares if you ever need one.

Wal.

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:29 pm They are quite soft as springs go and can be bent with pliers if you are careful, Youngs reels and Speedias included. Keep away from the tight bend where the spring is anchored to the reel and you should be ok.

I have loads of spares if you ever need one.

Wal.
RBTraditional wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:56 am Funnily enough one of the piscatorial raconteurs asked me the same question a week or two back as I have a bit of a thing about Speedias. I have in the past just given the spring a gentle squeeze with pliers and so far thankfully had no problems regarding breaks. Occasionally I’ve had to give the spring a couple of tweeks to get it just right…
Ok..,, Im going to try (first time) to tie two comments in one reply...
Yes.... so far so good with a squeeze but I know what you are saying about the tight bend onnthe reel... I left the spring in situ when squeezing but the reels rivet I think stopped a full squeeze..
Now I know there is a spare spring from wal I will be "slightly " heavier handed"
Thanks again Gents... all very good advice.
Mark Aka Mr B.
Ps... I will keep you posted....

JAA
Crucian Carp

Post by JAA »

It's probably not de rigueur but a 50/50 mixture of silicon and molybdenum grease is a good noise suppressant.
¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´¯ ><(((º>
Cole aka JAA
https://crucians.org/
https://www.anotherangler.net/

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

JAA wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 6:39 pm It's probably not de rigueur but a 50/50 mixture of silicon and molybdenum grease is a good noise suppressant.
Yes, thanks for your comment mate...
I know just what you are saying but this little perisher needs a little more than that.
Always a great first option though my friend.

Thank you.

Mr B

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

All done...(this time the Speedia)
Took my time with a tiny pair of mole grips and long nose pliers.
Sounds better, nice and quiet with the ratchet on winding in and a-lot quieter, when the line is pulled out, but will still sing out.(should I be having a good day now and then)
Thanks for all the advice gents.

Mr B

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

Always a pleasure to help a fellow dangler and ale sampler Mark… :cheers:
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Return to “Speedia Reels”