Gloves

Got some interesting traditional angler's clothing you want to talk about.
Duckett
Tench

Re: Gloves

Post by Duckett »

I’m with Coral Maestro, fingerless gloves. However, I’ve found that I prefer the Merino wool or silk type that bikers use under their gauntlets are the best compromise for warmth, dexterity and convenience.

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Coral Maestro
Chub

Post by Coral Maestro »

On a recent trip to the River Eden in Cumbria I had a reason to don my gloves as the combination of a keen wind and wet hands soon had them suffering. I haven't had cause to wear gloves for a few years so had forgotten the make that I use. Here they are:Image
They aren't perfect but keep out the worst of the cold and are thin enough to maintain some dexterity. Another bonus is that I don't seem to hook them as often as wool gloves.
What do they know of fishing who know only one fish and one way to fish for him?
- Jack Hargreaves.

Martin James
Tench

Post by Martin James »

I recommend Simms wind stoppers, I have had my current pair for over 15 years, they were purchased when I was steelhead fishing in Oregon. they have been in the washing machine on numerous occasions and they are still as good as new

Coral Maestro
Chub

Post by Coral Maestro »

At £65 a pair I would expect them to last at least 15 years!
What do they know of fishing who know only one fish and one way to fish for him?
- Jack Hargreaves.

John Milford
Grayling

Post by John Milford »

Aitch wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 2:37 pm I bought a cheap pair of neoprenes gloves when Aldi had their fishing tackle weekend last year, still using them and they do keep mitts warm when I'm trotting... when I'm feeder fishing I have a Mitt/Muff into which I place a battery powered hand warmer... very toasty
Another vote for the Aldi (Crane) neoprene gloves. :Thumb:

Olive green or camo and both available in fingerless gloves or full gloves where the thumb and forefinger tips can be folded back, held with velcro. Warm and comfortable.

£5.99 a pair or thereabouts.

I've had both for several years and still going strong. Amazing value for money!
A seeker of "the fell tyrant of the liquid plain".

Regular_Caster
Gudgeon

Post by Regular_Caster »

I’ve found my hands are always warm in my Barbour fingerless wool gloves. I’ve had them a good few seasons now, and they’re still going strong. They are made in Scotland, which helps justify the price somewhat versus some others.
Also the wrist part is long, providing additional protection from the cold, as you never really get any gaps where your gloves and jacket don’t meet.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

During the last cold spell, I went to my 'glove drawer' to fetch a pair. The drawer in question also holds a multitude of bits and bobs but I delved in full of confidence. A few minutes later I had retrieved five gloves, all different and all for my right hand. How the heck does that happen?

A few days later, the left glove of my best waterproof gloves with the foldback fingers reappeared from elsewhere but, it had warmed up again by then. I sometimes feel that life conspires against me :fingertap:

Return to “Traditional Angler's Clothing”