Worms!

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
Hovis
Tench

Worms!

Post by Hovis »

As the nights draw in I find myself dreaming of perch and in need of fresh worms. I can always make the tackle shop so need a ready supply at home. Any wormery recommdations? Something thatay supply about 200g or thereabouts of dendros or tigers a week (when established).
I have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing.

Izaak Walton

Dave F
Grayling

Re: Worms!

Post by Dave F »

Try the Yorkshire Worm co. Www.Yorkshire-worms.co.uk

I think they’ll be able to help.

:fishing1:
:fish:
Oh to be at my “Happy Place” where nothing matters but the being there.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

If you search wormery on YouTube there are lots of videos showing how to make them.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Homer Simpson
Grayling

Post by Homer Simpson »

If you have a garden then a compost heap is the answer,.
I have two that are both made by screwing four pallets together .
One is being filled and one maturing.
The maturing one has a bit of old carpet on top.

Other thing is buy a bag of compost (should be cheap at the moment) stab a few holes in it and leave in a corner somewhere.
This winter you should find a few lobs under the bag and next year the bag contents should have red worms in it.

Mike Crompton
Minnow

Post by Mike Crompton »

Hi,
I found by accident that worms like Bananas. I use a Council black compost bin and put all waste matter including plenty of paper and card. We seem to eat plenty of Bananas and the skins are loved by Dendros. They accumulate around the skins. Never tried feeding them a whole Banana? Try looking up on Youtube for they are many suggestions on farming worms.
Mike

Timothy Claypole
Bleak

Post by Timothy Claypole »

Reckon I’ve comfortably got a grayling season’s worth of redworms in a couple of rubbermaid compost boxes in my utility room. Ransacked a friend’s compost heap to get it kick started. Take out a sensible number and put them in one of those Aldi veg bags with dampened moss then place that in a bait pouch. Nice scoured worms ready to go 48hrs later 👍🏻
"Fishing is a philosophy. A philosophy of earth, and growth, and quiet places. In it there is a rule of life, a recognition of permanences."

Bernard Venables

JAA
Crucian Carp

Post by JAA »

I cover the veggie patch with 4" deep shredded garden refuse, Mrs AA think's it's 'mulching'. Loada wormies under that. :Wink:
¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´¯ ><(((º>
Cole aka JAA
https://crucians.org/
https://www.anotherangler.net/

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Post by Penninelad »

Old cast iron bath tubs and horse muck. I have been using mine for over 20 years and as we have a lot of horses I have plenty of muck. Brandlings have accounted for some of my best perch and I often use a bucket of manure as groundbait. I always keep my worms in sphagnum moss in the cellar where they will keep in good condition. For lobworms I gather them as I need them and again store them in sphagnum, making sure any damaged worms are put aside,
Mark Davies

Hovis
Tench

Post by Hovis »

Penninelad wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 4:57 pm Old cast iron bath tubs and horse muck. I have been using mine for over 20 years and as we have a lot of horses I have plenty of muck. Brandlings have accounted for some of my best perch and I often use a bucket of manure as groundbait. I always keep my worms in sphagnum moss in the cellar where they will keep in good condition. For lobworms I gather them as I need them and again store them in sphagnum, making sure any damaged worms are put aside,
Thanks Mark, think my good lady might take exception to a bath tub full of shi*e in the garden, sadly. One day maybe.

I'm afraid I've lost your email, found about 10,000 roach and some pike whilst out walking at work. All sheltering from the flood waters. Drop me a pm and I'll give you the details if you like. Unfortunately I'm working tomorrow and all next week.
I have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing.

Izaak Walton

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Post by Penninelad »

PM sent
Mark Davies

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”