Maggots

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
Homer Simpson
Grayling

Maggots

Post by Homer Simpson »

Autumn for me, is a time for stick floats running down the slightly swollen river.
I “always “ buy reds but today I thought that I’d try bronze, which I don’t think I have used since the demise of the carcinogenic dye ( was it anatto or something?).
They were hardly bronze, more like slight brown :roll:
And didn’t work well, fortunately I had half a pint of manky reds.

RBTraditional
Catfish

Re: Maggots

Post by RBTraditional »

Personally I like a red. I well remember using bronze for chub back in the late seventies/early eighties….although I’m sure they’d have been just as happy with a red back then given the opportunity….
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

JAA
Crucian Carp

Post by JAA »

I prefer proper mixed maggots (White, Red, Bright Orange, Blue and Bright Yellow) choice of colour on the day is always handy.
¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´¯ ><(((º>
Cole aka JAA
https://crucians.org/
https://www.anotherangler.net/

Wanderer
Arctic Char

Post by Wanderer »

Homer Simpson wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 6:09 pm Autumn for me, is a time for stick floats running down the slightly swollen river.
I “always “ buy reds but today I thought that I’d try bronze, which I don’t think I have used since the demise of the carcinogenic dye ( was it anatto or something?).
I don't think you need to worry too much about Annatto, Homer. The dangerous bronze maggot dye was Chrysodine.
I was always careful with it myself, but I remember seeing lots of anglers with bronze hands..., :Thumbsdown::
"Not all those who Wander are Lost !"

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Reds in clear water, whites when it gets a touch of colour, then bread!
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

MWithell
Chub

Post by MWithell »

When I used to use maggots regularly I never seemed to catch more on colours than on whites. I never buy anything but whites now.
Malcolm

Catching lob-worms is one of the greater Outdoor Sports. It is the most hilarious game in the world (John C Moore)

Homer Simpson
Grayling

Post by Homer Simpson »

Wanderer wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 8:25 pm
Homer Simpson wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 6:09 pm Autumn for me, is a time for stick floats running down the slightly swollen river.
I don't think you need to worry too much about Annatto, Homer. The dangerous bronze maggot dye was Chrysodine.
I was always careful with it myself, but I remember seeing lots of anglers with bronze hands..., :Thumbsdown::
Ah! Yes Chrysodine, :Hat: was a long while ago and I had forgotten the name. I had a metal tube of the stuff to do my own.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

If I'm trotting with white maggots and not catching after a few trots then I change to reds, and vice versa. Often a colour change leads to bites. But if white and red fail then if I have a few fluoro coloured I am put one of them on the hook, and if I don't catch on one of them then I know I'm wasting my time !
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Homer Simpson
Grayling

Post by Homer Simpson »

Santiago wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:28 am If I'm trotting with white maggots and not catching after a few trots then I change to reds, and vice versa. Often a colour change leads to bites. But if white and red fail then if I have a few fluoro coloured I am put one of them on the hook, and if I don't catch on one of them then I know I'm wasting my time !
Or…..you’ve got a pike in the swim ( which what happened to me yesterday :club:

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

I’ve never had much luck with bronze and many of the waters I fish seem to favour reds. However, my late Mum always swore by having a good mix of what she called “Tutti Frutti Maggots”, being very systematic in trying all colour combinations for 2 and 3 on the hook. She never used a single maggot that I saw. It still surprises me how often I decide to do the same!

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”