Bream Slime

Traditional landing nets large and small.
JAA
Crucian Carp

Re: Bream Slime

Post by JAA »

John Milford wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 10:23 pm
Old Man River wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:56 pm I have but had no problem.
Somebody elses net .

David
:Hahaha: Smart move!

While I've not been there for several years, I've enjoyed several trips with friends to fish for Wells at Riba-Roja d'Ebre.

Whoever had just caught the most recent fish received the dubious accolade 'The Lord of the Flies'! :Chuckle:
I actually made it for carp - a water I fished had so many gullible hungry 3-4-5lb carp, unhooking them was a nause, so this enabled me to not trouble the net.
¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´¯ ><(((º>
Cole aka JAA
https://crucians.org/
https://www.anotherangler.net/

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

JAA wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 10:23 pm
Old Man River wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 1:17 pm Good afternoon people.

I have a small problem, well, its not so much a problem as puzzle .

How do you remove bream slime from a traditional style landing net ? :Confused:
Get yourself a 5' garden cane. Araldite a medium stonfo disgorger in one end. Use it to unhook the bream in the water. :Wink:
Sounds like a “ T “ bar. We use them for unhooking something a bit bigger than your bog standard bream.
We use “T” bars for releasing Conger Eels , 60 lbs plus without ever bringing them into the boat . TBH slime is not a consideration where Conger are concerned, its more a case of making sure you are nowhere near its jaws . Variety is the spice of life as they say .

David
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

It’s all part of the patina.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

Tengisgol wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 11:23 pm It’s all part of the patina.
:Hahaha: :Hahaha:

David.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

John Milford wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 10:23 pm
Somebody elses net .

David
:Hahaha: Smart move!

While I've not been there for several years, I've enjoyed several trips with friends to fish for Wells at Riba-Roja d'Ebre.

Whoever had just caught the most recent fish received the dubious accolade 'The Lord of the Flies'! :Chuckle:

PS: My dodge with bream slime is to get it off the net as soon after it gets on as possible.

Immersing the mesh (not quite to the rim) and whipping it smartly from the water, leaves a lot of the fresh slime behind - shake and repeat as necessary. (If you're 'bagging up', simply leave the mesh immersed in between fish and do the 'dip and whip' routine before packing the net away).
That's exactly what I use to do. Wet grass also helps in between fish, but a final vigorous rinse at the end of the session works well. Then simply leave the net to dry in a place at home where the smell won't be an issue , and never leave packed away , let it breath!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

OldRod
Grayling

Post by OldRod »

The slime is a reason why bream are my least favourite fish to catch, but still infinitely exceeding (if indeed it is possible infinitely to exceed anything.... 🤔) the dreaded blank.
At the end of the game, the pawn and the King go back into the same box........

John Milford
Grayling

Post by John Milford »

I forgot to mention - flip the net so that the bream batter is on the 'outside' of the mesh to make it come off more easily.
A seeker of "the fell tyrant of the liquid plain".

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Alternatively , stick slimy net near to a wasps nest . They will joyfully feed on it.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

I have found a failsafe way to remove the gunk.

And not a slug in sight Wal ! Or a wasp Santiago !

I mentioned earlier that I had tried dishwasher capsules, well it seems I did not leave the net immersed for long enough . In a bit of frustration I bunged it in another fresh solution with boiling water, net fully immersed, and left it for an hour. The colour of the solution was a horrible dark brown after the soak, so I must have removed a few years of accumulated muck as well.

The net was then given a really good rinse off with cold water and hung out to dry…. it is now as clean as a very very clean thing, like new in fact.

Worth remembering …

Tensingol, sorry, but the patina has been flushed down the plughole :Chuckle:

David

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Somebody elses net .

David
You can joke David but I realised one day that every time Helen catches a Bream, she asks me to net it for her, knowing full well that I will reach for my net. Eventually, she confessed she found Bream slime revolting. Without ever having visited a fishing website, and certainly without me ever using the label (as I love fishing for Bream), she started referring to them as Snotfish …… I think it’s the Primary School teacher reaction!

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Return to “Traditional Landing Nets”