Hardy Conquest

The Hardy Reels forum.
Timothy Claypole
Bleak

Hardy Conquest

Post by Timothy Claypole »

Evening gents,

I’m curious to know how highly you good people rate the Hardy Conquest (not the new version). More specifically, how would you say it fared long trotting for grayling? I’ve got a Match Aerial, Trudex MKII, Triton True pin and Okuma Aventa, but the Okuma has been left on the shelf a lot recently as I very much prefer how true pins run, sound and feel. I’m edging toward selling off the Okuma and buying another true pin reel, but it would need to be lightweight and a darned good trotting reel.

Does the drum overcome inertia quickly?
Are they generally quiet runners (in good nick)?
Are there any well-documented issues?

It’s surprising how few “user” reviews of Conquests are on t’internet, hence I humbly seek your collective wisdom on the subject (and if anyone is passing one on I’d be keen to hear about it.

Yours sincerely,

TC
"Fishing is a philosophy. A philosophy of earth, and growth, and quiet places. In it there is a rule of life, a recognition of permanences."

Bernard Venables

Tengisgol
Barbel

Re: Hardy Conquest

Post by Tengisgol »

I have one and a spare - terrific reels! Very light and yes/yes/no as answers to your questions.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Timothy Claypole
Bleak

Thank you for replying! What would you say is a fair price for one? There’s one on you-know-what-bay for £135 but I think it may be attainable for less.
"Fishing is a philosophy. A philosophy of earth, and growth, and quiet places. In it there is a rule of life, a recognition of permanences."

Bernard Venables

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

I think the going rate is a little less than that. You can have one of mine to try if you want and, if you like it, make me an offer. If not just pop it back, nothing to lose! I have too many reels if I’m honest and I have a smashing Rapidex I want to fish with a little this winter.

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

I agree with the above. A great reel. I use mine a lot. Ideal for trotting and any general float fishing. I use min a lot. You should be able to find one for £100 or slightly less if you hunt around enough
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

The wheel in hole drag versions tend to run more freely than the sundial drag ones.
As with all Hardy reels there are often corrosion problems if not put away clean and dry. The winding handles often become seized up. Also check the brass mounting is secure and the lineguard screws are not seized in.
Lovely reels to use if in good order so worth paying a bit extra for a well cared for example.

Wal.

Timothy Claypole
Bleak

Tengisgol wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 11:07 pm I think the going rate is a little less than that. You can have one of mine to try if you want and, if you like it, make me an offer. If not just pop it back, nothing to lose! I have too many reels if I’m honest and I have a smashing Rapidex I want to fish with a little this winter.
That's a lovely idea... I'll drop you a PM :Thumb:

Bernard Venables

Wally Roy
Roach

Post by Wally Roy »

Great reels it's my go to reel at present.

Timothy Claypole
Bleak

Thank you for the generous and helpful replies gents :Thumb:

Bernard Venables

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

PM received so I’ll get one up to you to have a try.

Return to “Hardy Reels”