Sorting out a problem with the Cardinal 66

The ABU Reels forum.
BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Sorting out a problem with the Cardinal 66

Post by BeechmereLake »

With John Milford disappointed with his purchase and the reel not working it arrived on my desk today, alarm bells started ringing when I looked in to the rotor cup (No spool fitted) and saw springs that didn't belong in there, hell they didn't even do the job they were supposed to, Bail arm barely returned and wouldn't stay open.

So I set about breaking it down, on removal of the sideplate the original problem was clear to see, the usual white plastic handle holder was in two pieces which prevents the spool oscillating in and out of the reel. Another problem was corrosion from the head bearing and the axle was rusty inside the worm gear, it had seeped into the reel and started to catch onto the worm gear, it was time to wash the parts then fetch out the brasso and autosol and polish up the working parts

So after talking on the phone with John about his reel I ran him through what I was doing and what needed replacing, 4 springs, a bearing, the red felt washer in the handle and the original axle holder. Next I will show some photos of how it all went, john thought it would be nice to see his reel and how far its come if yawl dont mind :Hat:

This is Johns purchase, used yes but dating from February 1966 its in half tidy condition.

On opening the reel this is the norm for many Cardinal 66's

When I saw this the alarm bells rang

Managed to get the axle out, just

Sand and grit is not good usually means beach fishing hence the rust in the bearings

After a few hours toiling and polishing the parts were checked and the reel rebuilt

Image Image

The process of building the reel back up after it was broken down to its component parts

Reel built ready to return

Now those springs are what you need to see not those shock absorbers

Hoping you can see the service work done to this reel, it will be back in the post tomorrow for John and I can tell you if he is not happy with this beauty best take up golf, its like winding fresh air and should give him some great years of Piking :Hat: :Hat:
" It is a sinister place yet powerfully fascinating"

"BB"

John Milford
Grayling

Re: Sorting out a problem with the Cardinal 66

Post by John Milford »

Thank you for putting up the photos Martin. Fascinating stuff and a transformation!

Thanks also for the phone call. A most enjoyable chat and something of a welcome education too.

Your enthusiasm for these old ABUs is marvelous and utterly infectious - I am now a convert and can hardly wait to get my kicks on 'Route 66'. :Hat:
A seeker of "the fell tyrant of the liquid plain".

JAA
Crucian Carp

Post by JAA »

Nice job there :Hat:
¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´¯ ><(((º>
Cole aka JAA
https://crucians.org/
https://www.anotherangler.net/

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Post by BeechmereLake »

JAA wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:07 pm Nice job there :Hat:
John as they say the proof is in the pudding, you may be surprised just how good it is when you get it back, no doubt you will let us know. :Wink:

"BB"

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

A proper job Martin. No doubt running better than new.

Wal.

BeechmereLake
Brown Trout

Post by BeechmereLake »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:21 am A proper job Martin. No doubt running better than new.

Wal.
Hi Wal, I can hand on heart say its a beauty but we will let John say what he thinks, when you can bring something back from the dead like this reel and everything comes together its a pleasure to work on them, all I can say if it was one of my old Mitchell's the bin men come on Friday :Hahaha: :Hat:

"BB"

JimmyBobkin
Crucian Carp

Post by JimmyBobkin »

Great job

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

As I have said before - - - the ABU Magician - - very interesting how the 'innards' should look!!

An excellent breakdown on servicing a reel!

John Milford
Grayling

Post by John Milford »

My 66 arrived back from it's few days of intensive therapy at Magician Martin's Cardinal Clinic with perfect timing. Postie knocked mere moments before I had to set off a day of frantic 'Father of the Bride' duties at my daughter's wedding!

Excitedly opening the package this morning revealed my reel in superbly fine fettle and running as silky as Silky the Silk Worm's silk pyjamas!

A truly splendid job Martin! :Hat:
A seeker of "the fell tyrant of the liquid plain".

JAA
Crucian Carp

Post by JAA »

John Milford wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 1:02 pm and running as silky as Silky the Silk Worm's silk pyjamas!
:Hahaha: :Hahaha:
¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´¯ ><(((º>
Cole aka JAA
https://crucians.org/
https://www.anotherangler.net/

Return to “ABU Reels”