Standard penance.

The K. P. Morritts Reels forum.
Cat
Chub

Standard penance.

Post by Cat »

Evening All, having spent most of a very rainy day sorting through a cupboard full of reels, I came across a Morritts Standard I'd forgotten about, but as penance for a wasted day I've given it a service (not exactly taxing as there's nothing to it) with the intention of giving it a go. First question, has anyone used one? Second, does anyone have a spare spool knocking around please? Regards Cat

Cane
Grayling

Re: Standard penance.

Post by Cane »

It’s been a while since I last used mine, but I’ If memories serves, I had a bit of a problem with line drifting off behind the spool. That may just have been down to my handling though. Otherwise, it did the job. Go out and have some fun with it and let us know how you got in please.
In the mud and scum of things, something always, always sings!
Mrs Wigg's philosophy

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

Thanks...definitely going to give it a go!

Stingray
Grayling

Post by Stingray »

I enjoy using my Standards occasionally, nice little reels. The Inrepid Standard's predecessor, the Intredpid Junior, is great fun too. Looks a lot like the Standard but unlike the Standard has no anti-reverse. Real back to basics fun to be had for the right style. Much rarer than the Standard too as it wasn't made for long.

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

Indeed, I think it'll definitely have the feel of fishing as a kid!

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

Managed to pick up a doner reel in Matlock on the way home from work this afternoon, so it's off to India for some mighty Mahseer!

Rockape
Roach

Post by Rockape »

Stingray wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:45 pm I enjoy using my Standards occasionally, nice little reels. The Inrepid Standard's predecessor, the Intredpid Junior, is great fun too. Looks a lot like the Standard but unlike the Standard has no anti-reverse. Real back to basics fun to be had for the right style. Much rarer than the Standard too as it wasn't made for long.
Hi Stingray,

Yeah, it took me quite a while to obtain a Junior, and what a great little reel it is too. Lots of Standards about, and I noticed there are two foot stem versions, one has a wider v section near the foot (bail bumper maybe?) and the other is just plain curved (body to foot). Do you know which came first?

I have two of the plain stem versions, one is boxed and in great condition. As soon as I get myself a nice cane rod, I will definitely take one on an outing.

Wanderer
Arctic Char

Post by Wanderer »

Mmm, interesting things these intrepids.
How does the "deluxe" vary from the standard ?
"Not all those who Wander are Lost !"

Cane
Grayling

Post by Cane »

ImageImageImageI couldn’t find my Deluxe version ( probably carefully put away somewhere).
Here are a few pictures of some others: The Standard and one just called “ Intrepid”. They were in the 1958 catalogue issues by J. B. Walker. Hythe, Kent.
The boxed reel is the Intrepid Supreme.
In the mud and scum of things, something always, always sings!
Mrs Wigg's philosophy

Rockape
Roach

Post by Rockape »

I'm a bit confused here cane.
The literature you posted shows a photo of what I have come to know as the intrepid junior; I have a boxed Standard model which has an anti reverse 'box' at the back...? Or did that model start out as the Standard and changed to the 'Junior' when the new standard was released? Intreaguing!

Later edit: I have added some literature showing the Junior and advertised as such:

Below the ad are photos of my own Deluxe and Standard.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Rockape on Sat Aug 12, 2023 12:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “K. P. Morritts Reels”