SK is making videos for Pdas

Watched a good fishing film lately, why not talk about it in here.
DaceAce
Eel

Re: SK is making videos for Pdas

Post by DaceAce »

Traffic noise carries a long way. I film around the Christchurch/Bournemouth/Poole/Wimborne conurbation and it is horrendous - ditto for Ringwood. To beat it takes a lot of work, basically you have to use sound from elsewhere (I hate music during actual fishing so leave that out - it is ubiquitous but unnecessary in TV/films) and then add a commentary. In the old days Jack Hargreaves [Stan Brehaut was the cameraman] filmed without any sound at all - the Arriflex was incredibly noisy) then just added a commentary and this video would benefit greatly from this time-consuming treatment.

My biggest challenge last season was filming next to Christchurch Bypass on the Royalty and reconstructing the sound afterwards, about 30 hours of effort but worth it! I sometimes just record sound to use but care is needed as different waters/seasons have their own sound signature.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

I remember when he had a dark beard. I must be getting old.

As for background noise, I have places where it's just you and nature bar the odd bit of farm machinery but, I have enjoyed great days in the middle of a town or next to a railway line and even the M5 motorway. I enjoy the peace and quiet but I love the fishing.

Bobthefloat
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bobthefloat »

DaceAce wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:38 pm Traffic noise carries a long way. I film around the Christchurch/Bournemouth/Poole/Wimborne conurbation and it is horrendous - ditto for Ringwood. To beat it takes a lot of work, basically you have to use sound from elsewhere (I hate music during actual fishing so leave that out - it is ubiquitous but unnecessary in TV/films) and then add a commentary. In the old days Jack Hargreaves [Stan Brehaut was the cameraman] filmed without any sound at all - the Arriflex was incredibly noisy) then just added a commentary and this video would benefit greatly from this time-consuming treatment.

My biggest challenge last season was filming next to Christchurch Bypass on the Royalty and reconstructing the sound afterwards, about 30 hours of effort but worth it! I sometimes just record sound to use but care is needed as different waters/seasons have their own sound signature.
I remember fishing with road noise in the background once upon a time I cured it by not fishing the Hampshire Avon anymore

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

For me no matter what the background noise is, if you are lost in your fishing the noise soon disappears.

Another lovely film Stuart. :Hat:
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

Bobthefloat wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:00 pm
DaceAce wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:38 pm Traffic noise carries a long way. I film around the Christchurch/Bournemouth/Poole/Wimborne conurbation and it is horrendous - ditto for Ringwood. To beat it takes a lot of work, basically you have to use sound from elsewhere (I hate music during actual fishing so leave that out - it is ubiquitous but unnecessary in TV/films) and then add a commentary. In the old days Jack Hargreaves [Stan Brehaut was the cameraman] filmed without any sound at all - the Arriflex was incredibly noisy) then just added a commentary and this video would benefit greatly from this time-consuming treatment.

I remember fishing with road noise in the background once upon a time I cured it by not fishing the Hampshire Avon anymore
I used to love a trip to the Avon Tel but you’re right the road from Salisbury to Ringwood (A338) has become so busy these day’s it’s difficult to hear the birds over the background drone of the traffic which is a real shame…..
Maybe I’ve just got old but I can’t put up with noise when I’m fishing… or just wandering with the dog…..
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Considering how engines and exhausts have supposedly become more efficient, road noise is getting worse everywhere.
I believe it is now mostly tyre noise. I find traffic noise is spoiling walks and fishing everywhere. At one time you could hear the odd tuned up car in the distance or a loony on his trials bike as he rode about on an evening. Now its just a constant droning.
Maybe adding the sound later is the best way to make films. Birdsong and a little light music works for me.

Wal.

SooperClooper
Silver Bream

Post by SooperClooper »

I go fishing to try and escape everyday noise, on one section of the Ouse I fish, all you can hear is birdsong, wind rustling the leaves on trees and the odd sheep. My idea of heaven until the damn phone rings!

OldRod
Grayling

Post by OldRod »

RBTraditional wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 7:45 pm Oh maybe he needs to adjust the sensitivity of the sound recording… that was horrific I may have to seek therapy…. :Notlisterning: :Hide: :Chuckle:
Rob having fished the Wally I can confirm that the road noise is in reality nothing like as intrusive as the impression given in the video.
As learned members have said, it's exaggerated due probably to some setting or other of the camera.
Tight lines
Keith
At the end of the game, the pawn and the King go back into the same box........

OldRod
Grayling

Post by OldRod »

Subscribed and liked Rob
At the end of the game, the pawn and the King go back into the same box........

Grumpy
Arctic Char

Post by Grumpy »

I can cope with low background traffic noise.I fish a club lake about half a mile from the A12.The low drone does not intrude on the birdsong etc.Another lake I have never fished and never will is right next to the A12.I have walked round it and the noise was awful.
A good video but the road noise did impinge on the senses.

Return to “Fishing Films”