Stripped Gypsy D'or ( D'Argent ? )

The Grice and Young Reels forum.
LeeDobson
Stickleback

Stripped Gypsy D'or ( D'Argent ? )

Post by LeeDobson »

Just finished stripping and refurbing an old Grice & Young Gyspy D'or ( or D'argent ) hard to find out concrete info as they shared bits, the old 1950's hammered finish paint was very worn on the backplate so I thought it none too sacrilegious to remove it all, a few days in neat Dettol got rid of most of it, then a final scrub with some Bartoline paint stripper got rid of what was left in the crannies.
I repainted the boss lettering using Vallejo Iraqi sand acrylic ( being a military modeller I have ready access to paint ) and put some new oil on the pin and ptfe grease on the ratchet, the brass foot got a polish with Autosol

The paint does hide a lot of unfinished tooling marks, which the maker obviously knew would be hidden under the probably chock full of lead enamel paint

Before and after, thanks for looking

EricW
Perch

Re: Stripped Gypsy D'or ( D'Argent ? )

Post by EricW »

Nice job Lee. How did you get on with matching the paint? :Hat:
These are the Golden Years. Don't waste them.

Here are some of our fishing films that you may enjoy
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrUkLb ... -bz8H_vr7A

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

I’m seriously impressed with the lettering Lee. I’m an N Gauge railway modeller (1:160 version) and I wouldn’t have attempted that, or got it looking so good!

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

LeeDobson
Stickleback

Post by LeeDobson »

Cheers lads, the colour I just eyeball matched to what I'd seen on other Grice & Young reels online, painting the lettering is much easier than it looks, you just paint all over the whole text area then wipe it back off, leaving the lettering

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

That looks very nice, well done.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

A lovely job Lee. I always thought the D'argent was silver and the D'ore was gold but it could be taken as gold for top quality and silver for second. There seems to be a difference in the hole patterns but everything else looks the same. Both models use two different type of line pillars.
Very nice reels to use and well thought out.
I sprayed a couple with Hammerite. The gold is too gold if you get my meaning but the silver looks great.
Your lettering looks superb, I use tyre lettering pencil, same method, fill it up then wipe off the excess. Results are similar but yours definitely look better.

Wal.

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

Lovely job...well done. I have an early d'Or in silver...the one with the sticker on the back (well, it's an early one). Nice reels to use (although I did have a complaint from another angler once about the noise from the rachet)! Regards Cat

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Cat wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 11:07 am Lovely job...well done. I have an early d'Or in silver...the one with the sticker on the back (well, it's an early one). Nice reels to use (although I did have a complaint from another angler once about the noise from the rachet)! Regards Cat
Probably just upset because you were catching and he wasn"t

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

Wal, you are indeed correct...it was last season, a good day for tench on prawn as I remember. After fist fish, followed by complaint, I uttered 'Ooh! Another tench' another three times.

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

...Gypsy d'or combined with a Sharpe's Avon.

Return to “Grice and Young Reels”