Where Did All The Gudgeon Go?

Watched a good fishing film lately, why not talk about it in here.
Grumpy
Arctic Char

Re: Where Did All The Gudgeon Go?

Post by Grumpy »

The river Chelmer now has Gudgeon showing after some years without them.

Wallyboy Rob
Chub
Location: On the Wally as often as possible ( Portsmouth area)

Post by Wallyboy Rob »

I'll see what I can sort Tel
going with the flow - You gotta luv them gonks

"There's no way you're going to get a quote from us to use on your book cover" Metropolitan Police spokesperson
from the back cover of Wall and piece - Banksy

Wakou
Rudd

Post by Wakou »

I was on a closed-season (*) work party on one of my club's little farm-lakes last month. I had never fished the water, not being that interested in carp, and was chatting with the bailiff/officer.
"Here's a tip, mate, don't use maggots on here, you'll catch nothing but gudgeons!"
The water is stream-fed and drained. I must go over there armed with the dreaded maggots!
The 'problem' is that the water is quite snaggy/swampy with submerged trees etc. And there ARE carp in there... So reasonably hefty tackle would be advised in case of one of the fat-fellows finds my maggot?
Having said that, I fished that afternoon (work-party privilege!) using the only bait I had, a tin of corn And first out was an 8lb common, on 3lb line to a size 14..
* Not the 'official' closed season, of course, my club chooses to close its stillwaters during April.

Wakou
Rudd

Post by Wakou »

Grumpy wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:58 pm The river Chelmer now has Gudgeon showing after some years without them.
Grumpy! Tell us more... Upper Chelmer or the Navigation?

Grumpy
Arctic Char

Post by Grumpy »

I have caught some at Hoe Mill.I reckon they will also be in the Upper.Years ago we used to catch huge Gonks from the Wid and Can.Sadly the Wid is now so overgrown its almost impossible to get to my old haunts.

ItchenRoach
Gudgeon

Post by ItchenRoach »

plenty of gonks on the avon at winkton,seem to disappear in winter though.

EricW
Perch

Post by EricW »

In this part of the world, the gudgeon disappeared with the arrival of zander. Once the staple catch in local canal matches they are now a rarity. I do have a copy of the results of a study on the oxford canal somewhere which concluded that the only species whose populations had declined as a result of their introduction were gudgeon. Not a valid reason on waters without zander but an apparently valid conclusion hereabouts. I'm no zander hater. I love fishing for them but I do miss my gudgeon fishing even if the size of roach and hybrids here is much higher than it was when gudgeon were common and zander not present. :Hat:
These are the Golden Years. Don't waste them.

Here are some of our fishing films that you may enjoy
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrUkLb ... -bz8H_vr7A

Rutilus
Roach

Post by Rutilus »

Indeed, the Oxford canal held a huge population back in the 70's or thereabouts when I fished a National there. And a certain Billy Makins made quite a name for himself on the open circuit with gudgeon catches.

Wakou
Rudd

Post by Wakou »

I was at the river at the bottom of my street last week. Loadsa gonks! I even had a bash at catching one, but my 15' rod was not ideal as they were about 6' away in approx 8" deep water, and were sharing the patch with thousands of minnows! Chelmer at Broomfield (Avenues)

Grumpy
Arctic Char

Post by Grumpy »

Ah the Avenues,I fished there years ago when I lived in Chelmsford,it used to be a great winter fishery,good Roach,Perch and Chub.Also Gonks.

Return to “Fishing Films”