Sweetcorn

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
Homer Simpson
Grayling

Sweetcorn

Post by Homer Simpson »

Up until last year, I always bought frozen sweetcorn from Lidl as it was fractionally cheaper quantity wise, than their tins. Of course, recent events seem to have turned that on its head.
Not long ago, I read that tinned corn is obviously fully cooked but frozen was only blanched, thus tinned is a better bait.
I had not considered this previously, but it makes sense.

John Milford
Perch

Re: Sweetcorn

Post by John Milford »

I've always used tinned sweetcorn - and usually Jolly Green Giant.

It's such a cheap bait a anyway, I've seldom bothered with cheaper alternatives.

I always drain the corn-infused liquid off into my groundbait mix too, which is a little bonus with tinned corn, compared to frozen.

The only down side is that whenever I am served sweetcorn with a meal, I can't help feeling as if I am eating bait!
A seeker of "the fell tyrant of the liquid plain".

Homer Simpson
Grayling

Post by Homer Simpson »

Horses for courses, I suppose.
I never use ground bait on still waters, and not very often on the river. So I loose feed reasonably heavily at times.
Three tins doesn’t go far when trotting on the wider parts of the river, so Lidl cans half my outlay. I like them because they have a wide variety of sizes in the tin.
Ten or so grains every other cast and a run through in less than a minute soon uses up the tin.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Buy commercial tins of sweetcorn - a couple of Kilos for each tin about a tenner - - or 3 pints of maggot! Amazon do them! 3 x 2kg tins = £20.

Sweetcorn is not digestible by all fish, I understand grayling are one species. Then again neither are tiger nuts by carp - but still a good bait.

TrentFisher
Crucian Carp

Post by TrentFisher »

For what it's worth using Lidl sweetcorn as an example, when trotting the Trent,I retain about half a can for hook baits and then partially liquidise the rest for the loose feed.
I find/think this helps as the feed is broken up and more flavour release and mixed with the other juices present provides a good scent trail .
I have a lot of success catching nice size dace/roach/bream.Chub will also move in for a feed.
I also partially liquidise wheat as feed when fishing wheat on the hook.The chub seem to respond quickly to this.....

All the best whatever you decide.-Nige.

Troydog
Tench

Post by Troydog »

Thank you gents. I always use Lidl cans. They used to be 40p, but now they are 68p. I semi liquidise half a can to mix with the juice and breadcrumb for open feeders, then fish the grains in the normal way. Leftover grains are thrown in as a freebie, ready for next time. A great bait it is……
Trouble is, the fish just don't read the books......
John Harding

MWithell
Chub

Post by MWithell »

Small tins work out much cheaper than those bulk prices!
Malcolm

Catching lob-worms is one of the greater Outdoor Sports. It is the most hilarious game in the world (John C Moore)

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

A 340g of Sainsburys Green Giant Sweetcorn at £1.25 per tin - equates, according to Sainsbury's, at £4.39 per kilo!

MWithell
Chub

Post by MWithell »

So 2kg is £8.78.
Malcolm

Catching lob-worms is one of the greater Outdoor Sports. It is the most hilarious game in the world (John C Moore)

Grumpy
Arctic Char

Post by Grumpy »

I have never done well with frozen corn.Tins from Aldi are 39p and full of the good stuff,salt and sugar.Also a nice mix of grain sizes.

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”