New to this...

General fly fishing chat area.
Olly
Wild Carp

Re: New to this...

Post by Olly »

Enjoy the books - - - - - and the fishing with Martin when it happens!

Martin - - Looking a a few pictures of Mayfly it does appear as a Green Dake species :Hat:

Wakou
Rudd

Post by Wakou »

Olly wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 3:43 pm

Have you resolved setting up your fly rod/reel yet?
Ermm well..... I got the backing on, then thought there was too much, took it off again and put half of it on. (This was 50m of 30lb braid). I am certain that is is horribly twisted!
I then made a huge loop and attached the line by passing it over the spool... the line on the spool then somehow got tangled and stuck. I prised the spool in halves, and was left with a massive bird's nest. An hour later, I had patiently threaded the other end of the line through all the tangles, and loaded the reel......
I am, at this very moment trying to learn what is a leader and tippet etc, and what I do with the bits in the kit... (throw them in the bin is my inclination right now, and buy a pre-made tapered leader or two, as I am not good at knots!) The 'ephemeridae' will be long gone by the time I get waterside! When I have bought some leaders...... I will go to my local park and try some casting!
One problem is that no-one (even a bailiff!) from my club will give me a definitive answer as to whether I can fish with flies on 'our' stretches of river during the coarse closed-season. Also the 'selection' of flies in my kit came in a little bag, unlabelled. I have no idea what they are, what they are supposed to represent, or even wheher they are dry or wet!
Every day is a school day, brace yourselves for some idiot questions here on this very forum!
Last edited by Wakou on Wed May 31, 2023 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wakou
Rudd

Post by Wakou »

fly-reel.jpg
cheapoleader.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wakou
Rudd

Post by Wakou »

I have put them in the "fly-box" supplied, but I could only go by size!

flies1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wakou
Rudd

Post by Wakou »

Here is the "stock" description from the shop:

https://www.fishingmegastore.com/trout- ... 12149.html

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

:Hat: It looks like you have it sorted - did you put the fly line into the braid of the loop showing in the picture? And add a small dab of superglue to holds it all together - no knots then!

A tapered monofilament leader is joined - loop to loop - with the loop mentioned above - so fly line - leader - tippet - fly - is the simplest way to start.
Purchased leaders/tippets come in various strengths measures in Xs - which relate to the poundage of the leader/tippet. This can be from 2lb for trout - up to 15lb for salmon. Your books will show the way! As do numbers of videos on YouTube.

Practicing casting involves a small section of wool being used instead of a hook - - safer for all and you can see where it lands more easily! Dont try to cast too far as accuracy is also needed as well.

As to whether you can or cannot fly fish varies with the lease held by the club - and club rules - whether there are trout in the river - etc! Some clubs only have a lease for the coarse season 16th June to 14th March - some have an annual lease - some clubs own the water or fishing rights - so a mixture of reasons including a game rod licence instead of the 'normal' coarse/trout licence - - if fishing for migratory sea trout and salmon.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

It looks although you have a varied selection of flies - nymphs, dry and wet - all useful.

Martin James
Tench

Post by Martin James »

Wakou Don't worry I will get you sorted out, just got in from a 10 hour session 3 sea trout averaging 4lbs plus 20 odd trout. One of the best sessions this season, back on the river again for next 3 days as I have got as lift each day, as I will also be teaching.

Solithar
Roach

Post by Solithar »

(I have to say it again: what a wonderful and precious place is, this forum!

:Hat:
Lucian)
Lucian,
A beginner angler thankful for the endless and blessed joy of angling.

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Martin James
Tench

Post by Martin James »

I couldn't agree more, I have gained a lot from TFF, in knowledge and friends.

Return to “General Fly Chat”