Tippet breaking strengths?

General fly fishing chat area.
MarkG
Grayling

Tippet breaking strengths?

Post by MarkG »

I only fly fish a few times a year, usually for chub but anything going is welcome. I use 4.5lb breaking strength for my flies, it is ordinary Drennan line which I have liked for my coarse fishing, hence it gets used for my flies as well. However, I bought a spool of second hand line for £2 recently in a junk shop, I often pick up bits and pieces there, sometimes good stuff. This line is "LINE SELECTION 250M 11.0KG 0.40mm" maker Crivic. The thing is it had a label on it a masking tape label "fly line" and it got me thinking, is a heavy line like this good for presenting flies, would it be better than the 4.5lb. I am thinking more presentation than lb for fish if you see what I mean. The line appears quite thin but it is 24lb breaking strain so I have worked out correctly I hope; which is a lot but would it present a fly better than floppier line, just curious to see what others think...thanks.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Re: Tippet breaking strengths?

Post by Dave Burr »

It could be meant for backing on the spool for those occasions when a happy trout empties the spool of forward taper weight 4.

MarkG
Grayling

Post by MarkG »

Dave Burr wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 9:21 am It could be meant for backing on the spool for those occasions when a happy trout empties the spool of forward taper weight 4.
I expect it was meant as backing line although it has still got me thinking, does a thicker line present a fly better than a thinner line. And if so would the thicker line bother the fish if they can see it, it doesn't normally seem to bother them.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

MarkG wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 9:49 am
Dave Burr wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 9:21 am It could be meant for backing on the spool for those occasions when a happy trout empties the spool of forward taper weight 4.
I expect it was meant as backing line although it has still got me thinking, does a thicker line present a fly better than a thinner line. And if so would the thicker line bother the fish if they can see it, it doesn't normally seem to bother them.
A heavy line does not perform well when presenting a fly. It is less likely to give the last bit of line a neat turnover and the fly is more likely to land heavily. Time was, we would make up a leader with a heavy line joined to a lighter one and a lighter one still at the tip, to help turnover. Nowadays, tapered leaders are on sale and are a better option.

Of course, if you are fly fishing for pike, a stronger line okay.

You can get away with light tippets due to the flexibility of the fly rod but, I have fished for stillwater chub with a 4 or 6lb fluoro leader and had the fly taken and the tippet breaking without any indication at my end. The speed of a taking chub or trout can exert enough pressure on a brittle line that it instantly snaps. Your approach has to be one of balance for species, fly size, expected fish size, rod weight, water conditions ie running or still, surrounding obstacles, distance to be cast etc.

JAA
Crucian Carp

Post by JAA »

Dave Burr wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 10:09 am

You can get away with light tippets due to the flexibility of the fly rod but, I have fished for stillwater chub with a 4 or 6lb fluoro leader and had the fly taken and the tippet breaking without any indication at my end. The speed of a taking chub or trout can exert enough pressure on a brittle line that it instantly snaps. Your approach has to be one of balance for species, fly size, expected fish size, rod weight, water conditions ie running or still, surrounding obstacles, distance to be cast etc.
I've had that surface fishing for carp and I suspect they pull the line hard and the surface tension on the line on the water prevents the line/rod absorbing the shock.
¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´¯ ><(((º>
Cole aka JAA
https://crucians.org/
https://www.anotherangler.net/

Homer Simpson
Grayling

Post by Homer Simpson »

Crivit is a Lidl brand name

MarkG
Grayling

Post by MarkG »

OK, thanks for the help, I will stick with my basic mono line for now, I have caught a few chub on it so, must be OK. Lidle line, who would have thought, looks good though, nice brown color and supple. I am more likely to use it sea fishing.

Return to “General Fly Chat”