Hooks from china

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
Homer Simpson
Grayling

Hooks from china

Post by Homer Simpson »

I spotted a recommendation elsewhere about these

They took a few weeks to arrive but look fine, I didn’t really want a hundred but that’s what was being sold, I chose size 8 and look nearer what I would consider to be size 6.

Olly
Wild Carp

Re: Hooks from china

Post by Olly »

I bought some cheap swivels from China - 2 different types and initially looked good. They were not to be used in the direct pull from a fish but to be used to hold an attachment. A ledger weight/feeder/etc.
I checked them and found about a dozen in each 50 pack that were very rough and in fact unusable. Not like most of the swivels sold here.
The remaining ones were however excellent for the use I bought them for - - - but not to be trusted attached to a fish.

Homer Simpson
Grayling

Post by Homer Simpson »

Well, whatever you buy here comes from the same source, albeit with a higher quality control element and twice the price, mainly middle man markup.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

That is why I usually buy either English or Japanese hooks, etc.

Which don't as far as I know come from China - perhaps that's why I would never buy a new Hardy rod!

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Hooks are very expensive nowadays especially when you add the carp tax. However, there are good and bad hooks and I suggest you use good ones to avoid disappointment. The bulk packs of Chinese hooks are a no - no in my book as they are generally poorly made and liable to snap under pressure. Likewise, the eye may not be fully closed, the barbs are often poorly positioned or too deep and the points lose their edge quickly.

I've had all of the above issues with expensive hooks too, it's buyer beware, but when you do find a pattern of two that suit you, stick to them. You may only get one shot at that monster fish of your dreams and, to lose it to a poor hook is an avoidable tragedy.

Peter Wilde
Rudd

Post by Peter Wilde »

There is a lot of very cheap rod fittings etc, sold in bulk on places like "that well known internet auction site”. A few years ago I bought a set of rod rings there as an experiment. Cheap as chips … and about as useful for the purpose as a bent chip would have been!

I started by putting one of them in a glass of water; and as suspected, rust had started within a couple of weeks. So binned the rest.

Not worth saving a few pounds if the result is lost fish - or a rod restoration that has to be done twice.

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”