Mepps VAMP........Reasonably SUPER.

The Other Reels forum.
Russell Brown
Rudd

Mepps VAMP........Reasonably SUPER.

Post by Russell Brown »

ImageImageImageImageImage
Mepps SUPER VAMP circa 1940's I think.I'd been looking for a SUPER model for quite a while (Elle Macpherson not ONCE returned my calls) and was very pleased to find this one.It has a bit of scuffing and the body screws have that slightly 'chewed' appearance but the big,big prob was the drag knob screwed down extremely tight and completely immovable.πŸ™„ I soaked it in WD40,no good.Soaked it in 3 in 1 oil,still wouldn't budge.I then sat the reel in a bowl of boiling water thinking expansion/contraction was the solution.NOPE..........Last resort,locking pliers on each of the drag knob 'fins'.With slow pressure it became loose and i was expecting to see corrosion under the spool but it was surprisingly very clean.The reel was quite noisy so I opened it up and applied some nice dollops of Penn grease.Without the spool,slightly less noise.With the spool fitted,the noise is amplified.When I'm winding it,sitting on the sofa with headphones listening to Black Sabbath at maximum volume,the reel doesn't make a noise.TTFN

RBTraditional
Catfish

Re: Mepps VAMP........Reasonably SUPER.

Post by RBTraditional »

Russell Brown wrote: ↑Sat Apr 08, 2023 5:56 pm When I'm winding it,sitting on the sofa with headphones listening to Black Sabbath at maximum volume,the reel doesn't make a noise.TTFN

Solution found! Works in old cars with annoying squeaks as well… AC/DC with the CD player turned up to 11….. :Wink: :Hahaha: :Hahaha:
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Russell Brown
Rudd

Post by Russell Brown »

RBTraditional wrote: ↑Sun Apr 09, 2023 5:54 am
Russell Brown wrote: ↑Sat Apr 08, 2023 5:56 pm When I'm winding it,sitting on the sofa with headphones listening to Black Sabbath at maximum volume,the reel doesn't make a noise.TTFN

Solution found! Works in old cars with annoying squeaks as well… AC/DC with the CD player turned up to 11….. :Wink: :Hahaha: :Hahaha:
My dear RBT,Suggesting that your wife's conversation is but an 'annoying squeak' is not the least bit chivalrous.πŸ˜‚

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

Wot!!!!! No box?
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Russell Brown
Rudd

Post by Russell Brown »

Fredline wrote: ↑Sun Apr 09, 2023 3:16 pm Wot!!!!! No box?
Sorry Fredline my standards are slipping.😎

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

Russell Brown wrote: ↑Sun Apr 09, 2023 4:50 pm
Fredline wrote: ↑Sun Apr 09, 2023 3:16 pm Wot!!!!! No box?
Sorry Fredline my standards are slipping.😎
I shall let you off this time Russell. But if it happens again I will definitely call a constable.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Noisy or not, a stylish vamp!

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Russell Brown
Rudd

Post by Russell Brown »

Duckett wrote: ↑Sun Apr 09, 2023 9:18 pm Noisy or not, a stylish vamp!

Phil
I can post some pics of all my Mepps reels if you're interested.πŸ˜ŽπŸ‘

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Russell Brown wrote: ↑Sun Apr 09, 2023 9:31 pm
Duckett wrote: ↑Sun Apr 09, 2023 9:18 pm Noisy or not, a stylish vamp!

Phil
I can post some pics of all my Mepps reels if you're interested.πŸ˜ŽπŸ‘
I certainly would, thank you. I’ve limited my French collecting outside Mitchell to an immaculate boxed Pezon & Michel Luxor Luxe but I do love the look of some of these French reels and the Mepps Vamps stand head and shoulders above the rest!

Phil :Hat:
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

Russell Brown wrote: ↑Sun Apr 09, 2023 3:02 pm
RBTraditional wrote: ↑Sun Apr 09, 2023 5:54 am

My dear RBT,Suggesting that your wife's conversation is but an 'annoying squeak' is not the least bit chivalrous.πŸ˜‚
No the wife is fine, sits quite quietly as I drive…it’s the mistress that I have a problem with! :Hahaha: :Wink:
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Return to β€œOther Reels”