Roman hook

The history & development of fishing tackle part of the forum.
Cane
Grayling

Roman hook

Post by Cane »

This Roman hook dates from the 3rd to 5th century AD. It was found in Albufeira, Portugal. Now in the local museum.
Just goes to show that a good design doesn’t need to change much.
In the mud and scum of things, something always, always sings!
Mrs Wigg's philosophy

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Re: Roman hook

Post by Dave Burr »

Hooks have been around for thousands of years and long predate the Romans. Man has pondered on better ways to catch fish for a long, long time.

It is a little known fact that the Romans held a similar close season to the present one. They could fish for silver fish like roach, chub, ide and asp for most of the year but, if found with caught fish in the Spring, they could be jailed or sent to the lion pen. Hence the saying 'Beware the ides of March'.

I'll be here all week.

Cane
Grayling

Post by Cane »

Dave Burr wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:17 am Hooks have been around for thousands of years and long predate the Romans. Man has pondered on better ways to catch fish for a long, long time.

It is a little known fact that the Romans held a similar close season to the present one. They could fish for silver fish like roach, chub, ide and asp for most of the year but, if found with caught fish in the Spring, they could be jailed or sent to the lion pen. Hence the saying 'Beware the ides of March'.

I'll be here all week.
Oh dear! 😁
Mrs Wigg's philosophy

Phil Arnott
Chub

Post by Phil Arnott »

If you are really interested I'd recommend you can get a copy of "A History of the Hook" by Hans Jorgen Hurum - plenty of illustrations of stone age hooks etc.

https://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/Book ... 1-_-title9

Phil Arnott
Chub

Post by Phil Arnott »

Dave Burr wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:17 am Hooks have been around for thousands of years and long predate the Romans. Man has pondered on better ways to catch fish for a long, long time.

I'll be here all week.
Excellent Dave, I'm in awe of your historical knowledge :Thumb:

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Thanks Phil, it comes from years of hard graft and avoiding work.

I also recommend the History of the Hook book, it's the most important part of your tackle yet we seem to be obsessed with floats.

Cane
Grayling

Post by Cane »

I’ve tried fishing with a copy of a bone hook and also a hammered copper hook. The bone hook ( made from antler) floated. I can see that that could be useful, but not on the day I tried it. Probably would have worked better with a heavier bait!
I did catch a roach on the copper hook though, at least briefly, before it decided it had an urgent appointment elsewhere.
I knew someone who used to collect hooks from around the world. Some of them were fantastic works of art, using bits of shell, thorns etc.
Mrs Wigg's philosophy

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

It is not just the hooks that go back into antiquity, I think maybe that the triangular “Richard Walker “ net may just be a tad older than some may imagine. Maybe he pinched the idea .

A Roman Mosaic from Leptis Magna ( at least I think that is where it was found ) , present day Libya.

A bit under dressed for the present, but seems that so much of what we use is not “new” at all.

David
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

:Chuckle: Some fine tackle on display there.

Wal.

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:57 pm :Chuckle: Some fine tackle on display there.

Wal.

I had to look twice Wal, its his right foot :Chuckle: :Chuckle: :Chuckle:

David.
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Return to “The History & Development of Fishing Tackle”