Barder catalogue

This forum belongs to Edward Barder Rods.
Snape
Bailiff

Barder catalogue

Post by Snape »

Back in the 1990s Edward produced a lovely catalogue of his rods which also included some interesting information about the history of split cane rods, technical developments in split cane and care and maintenance of split cane rods.

“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

St.John
Tench

Re: Barder catalogue

Post by St.John »

Thanks for sharing this snape.
"Be patient and calm-for no man can catch fish in anger."

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Very nice Snape. :thumb:
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

I always sat and wondered whether Mr barders rods would/could be as good as everyone said. I would think that, although they must be pretty good, it would still just be a better finish, prettier fittings, higher grade cork.
Then i held a merlin. Yeah, it is a good finish, the fittings are lovely, the cork is fantastic. BUT. What really impressed me was the blank. It felt alive, positive, strong, powerful and delicate with absolutely no flap. I couldn't put it down. It loaded a floater like a flyrod loads line. Nowadays there are many rod maker's making heart wrenchingly desirable and sublime rods. I think it would be fair to say that Mr barder set the foundations for these artists, and one day I will own one of everything he makes, except the carp rods. I'll have pairs of them! I was reassured that beauty is not just skin deep.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

st.john wrote:I always sat and wondered whether Mr barders rods would/could be as good as everyone said. I would think that, although they must be pretty good, it would still just be a better finish, prettier fittings, higher grade cork.
Then i held a merlin. Yeah, it is a good finish, the fittings are lovely, the cork is fantastic. BUT. What really impressed me was the blank. It felt alive, positive, strong, powerful and delicate with absolutely no flap. I couldn't put it down. It loaded a floater like a flyrod loads line. Nowadays there are many rod maker's making heart wrenchingly desirable and sublime rods. I think it would be fair to say that Mr barder set the foundations for these artists, and one day I will own one of everything he makes, except the carp rods. I'll have pairs of them! I was reassured that beauty is not just skin deep.
They are truly awesome rods, which as you say, are incredibly beautiful but the feel and action is in a different class. What makes them different to most other makers is that Edward splits his own cane to his own tapers (he bought up the last of all the decent air dried tonkin bamboo from the old rod makers back in the 90s).
They cost an arm and a leg new (£1400) but they do come up on ebay occasionally.
I obtained the no. 2 MK1 Barbus Maximus second hand in the mid 90s and was totally sold on it and decided I wanted one of each of the Chris Yates series. So ordered a Merlin new in '97 (when they were a third of the price they are now). More recently I acquired the Carp Crawler (8' 3" carp rod) which is a lovely stalking and spinning rod (also used for barbel fishing by my 12 year old son). This only leaves the Bishop (an 11' MKIV carp rod effectively). I thought I found one on ebay recently and bought it but it turned out to be a one off Bishop Avon (1lb t.c.) a very nice rod too. So I'm still on the look out for a Bishop if any one knows of one....

If people would like to see them I'll bring along when we meet up.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

Snape wrote:
st.john wrote:I always sat and wondered whether Mr barders rods would/could be as good as everyone said. I would think that, although they must be pretty good, it would still just be a better finish, prettier fittings, higher grade cork.
They are truly awesome rods, which as you say, are incredibly beautiful but the feel and action is in a different class. What makes them different to most other makers is that Edward splits his own cane to his own tapers (he bought up the last of all the decent air dried tonkin bamboo from the old rod makers back in the 90s).
They cost an arm and a leg new (£1400) but they do come up on ebay occasionally.
I obtained the no. 2 MK1 Barbus Maximus second hand in the mid 90s and was totally sold on it and decided I wanted one of each of the Chris Yates series. So ordered a Merlin new in '97 (when they were a third of the price they are now). More recently I acquired the Carp Crawler (8' 3" carp rod) which is a lovely stalking and spinning rod (also used for barbel fishing by my 12 year old son). This only leaves the Bishop (an 11' MKIV carp rod effectively). I thought I found one on ebay recently and bought it but it turned out to be a one off Bishop Avon (1lb t.c.) a very nice rod too. So I'm still on the look out for a Bishop if any one knows of one....

If people would like to see them I'll bring along when we meet up.
that'd be Brill. A 1lb tc bishop? I think I just found my perfect wye barbel rod.... Dam you snape!!! Now i'll have to rob a bank, sell my kids and a kidney and order one.... Blast.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Sadly the 1lb tc Bishop was a bespoke 1 off (actually he made made a pair of them) made in the early 90s.
Edward doesn't do 1 offs any more.

I think it would be far too light for a Wye barbel rod. The MkI Barbus Maximus is ideal for that.
The MK1 was 11' 9" with a through action. The butt is very powerful but it has a fine tip.
He changed it to the MKII which is 11" and is has a less fine tip because too many people were stressing the tip and putting a set in it.

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

Brill. This is getting worse. My current wye barbel is a converted salmon rod, about 1lb tc. I like it a lot, but it's about half a foot too long! I use a mk iv, but it's too short for the wye...

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Sounds like you need either the proper Bishop (11' MKIV) or a Barbus Maximus.
My 1lb tc Bishop avon is only good for tench and chub I wouldn't want to catch a decent barbel on it.

St.John
Tench

Post by St.John »

Ace. Need to get one to have a play with! I'm a big fan of 11 footers.

Return to “Edward Barder”