Nice Intrepid Classic... Almost

The K. P. Morritts Reels forum.
Rockape
Roach

Nice Intrepid Classic... Almost

Post by Rockape »

My ebay Intrepid Classic turned up today.
Very pleased because the ebay images showed a near new looking Classic with a nice box... and the 'new' satin chrome bulletin leaflet, but it was described as a New De Luxe, so I was nervous.

All great then? Well, no, because the bail arm was sloppy and weak and the sprung bail stop bar would not move and therefore caused the bail roller section to make contact with the stem when closing it.
It was also bent down slightly.

So after much late night (early morning) impatient investigation, it tuned out that the bail / rotor assembly had been taken apart during the fitting of an incorrect bail stop bar spring, which replaced a broken one (I know this because I later found the broken one in a small bag along with two new grip washers).

So it not only had what I believe to be an incorrect bail stop spring fitted (inside the rotor housing under the spool; looks different the one in my Regent, which has the same stop bar) but the main bail return spring was not seated properly also.

Being so late, and being the impatient and impetuous idiot I am, I ploughed on and managed to fix the bail itself, but I then snapped off the locating portion of the bail stop bar, whilst trying to straighten it. I am also at a loss as to how the rotor comes off (as with my Continental), but it was late so....

So now I am looking for a spare parts Classic for a bail stop bar and spring.... Sigh!

Other than that, it looks fantastic, and with a box too!

I'll post some photos soon.

Wanderer
Arctic Char

Re: Nice Intrepid Classic... Almost

Post by Wanderer »

Looking forward to seeing the photos.
"Not all those who Wander are Lost !"

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

Rock ape, the rotor is held by a small grub screw (slot head) adjacent to the oil port on the reel body. Sadly even with the screw removed the rotor does not always come off easily. I have ruined two reels using undue force in the attempt! I may be able to help you with the stop bar and Spring as knowing my love of Morritts reels, several forum members have gifted me whole reels and parts. Post pics of exactly what you need and PM me with your address . Paul.

Rockape
Roach

Post by Rockape »

Hi Catfish.017

That is so kind of you, thank you.
I am out at the moment, but when I get home I will get a photo of the parts I need and pm you with my address.
If there is anything you need that I may have, let me know also, though I suspect your collection of parts would shame mine.. Lol.

Thanks also for the very helpful advice on dissasembling the reel, I will take care with it.

I have dissasembled and rebuilt a stack of later Intrepids (and Mitchells), but some of these early Morritts reels leave me perplexed particularly rotor removal on the Continental model....????

Here are some photos I took earlier.

I now have a sprung bail arm, but it wont click lock open because of the damaged / incorrect locking assembly (still useable I suppose if I hold the bail open with one finger whilst holding the line with my first finger, but not ideal).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

I did have a couple of Continentals a while back. Can't remember If I ever got as far as removing the rotor? Good reels, probably Morritts best particularly the superior worm and wheel gearing.

Rockape
Roach

Post by Rockape »

Hi Catfish.017

I really love the Continental, and yes, a quality mechanisim (similar to the older ABU Cardinals).

Here are the parts causing me some grief on my Classic.
I have included 2 images of a healthy Regent, which I think the parts and their locations are how the Classic should be.

On my Classic, the small post on the chrome slider which locks the bail open for casting (the chrome sliding part is what I need) is not making contact with the spring wire (the other part I need), which makes me think the wrong spring wire was fitted?
Notice how on the Regent sliding tab, the wire spring is always in contact with the post on the slider.

Notice also that the spring wire is wrapped the other way around the support posts on the correctly built Regent (sorry, my explanations are legendary in their confusion).

In the Classic image, you can see where I have broken off the end tab that engages with the bail arm to lock it open for casting (thought I could simply straighten it up... Oops!).

So the two parts I need to fix the reel are the chrome metal sliding lock and the spring.

Please see my pm.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rockape
Roach

Post by Rockape »

Just a quick update for Catfish.017:

I tried to send this (and another message) in a private message, but they seem to be stuck in my outbox for some reason? So my apologies to the moderator, but at the moment, for some reason, I have no other way of contacting a member privately? Though, this may be of some help to other Classic owners?

Modified message:

Hi Catfish.017,

Yesterday I recieved and fitted your very kindly donated Intrepid Classic parts, thank you.

I undid the grub screw which was not even tightened securely (thankfully!) and eased the rotor bushing out of the housing, then it stopped and wouldn't budge, but a squirt of WD40 had it moving and out it came (so relieved!).

I fast realised that the bail arm had to come off too, but once the rotor was stripped, it was a fairly straightforward job (not sure if the bent section at the end of the longer spring end faces down or up, but I went against the obvious (unlike me) and have faced it downwards, and it still works great).

I secured the two grip washes you sent me with the end of a fibreglass pen (a polishing tool for getting tarnish off PCBs).

I retracted the fibreglass polishing insert on the tool, and used the thin circular metal end of it to push the grip washers down over the studs, as it fits perfectly in the inside circumference; just made for the job!

The bail arm coiled spring is a bit tired I think, and whoever previously fitted it to me had deformed and stretched it slightly, but after some considerable careful fiddling, I eventually got it seated properly.

After a thorough internal clean and some high quality blue corrosion block grease and reel oil applied, it runs so smoothly now, and the bail is very slick too.... and it locks!!! Hooray!!!

Thank you so much Paul for helping me get this wonderful little reel working properly again, I really appreceate it, and if you ever need a New De Luxe or Extra part, let me know (I've got a bucket full of spares for those.. lol....)

All the best,

Paul

Return to “K. P. Morritts Reels”