Barbel on the Hampshire Avon with Chris and Peter.

This forum belongs to Chris Yates.
Mr B
Arctic Char

Barbel on the Hampshire Avon with Chris and Peter.

Post by Mr B »

I probably have only scratched the service of Chris Yates videos on YouTube.
I found one that interested me last night were he went back to his boyhood angling on a little village pond with his son, then at Frensham little pond with his pal Bob and his lovely dogs.
He ended up on the Hampshire Avon after Barbel and met up with a young angler Peter fishing with a bamboo cane ( set up I know)
Got a couple of question's..
That young lad did a grand job at playing the Barbel, that was a few years ago now.,, is he still angling????
( excuse my ignorance I am not an avid Chris Yates follower but do enjoy his approach to angling, tackle and his angling prowess)
Also, was the stretch of the river a private stretch... I suspect it was/is.
I fished on the Avon years ago now but couldn't tell you were it was.
I am an LAA member so have some angling at the Britford stretch.
Some of my venue plans this year went totally pear-shaped, that's how it goes sometimes but life's sweet and had some great times.
Be interested in your comments.

Mr B
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Paul F
Sea Trout

Re: Barbel on the Hampshire Avon with Chris and Peter.

Post by Paul F »

Where have you been mr B, do you not remember the BBC passion for angling series from 1993?

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Paul F wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 5:46 pm Where have you been mr B, do you not remember the BBC passion for angling series from 1993?
I think he's a teenager in disguise :Chuckle:

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Yes it is Barford and as a previous Longford Syndicate member I have fished it - the same swim that is.

There are other captures from the Longford Avon in the Passion for Angling series by both Bob and Chris - roach - barbel - perch and eel - ???

The brace of pike by Bob was on the Kennet.

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Thanks troops,
I have seen a few of his videos but without getting shot out the park I do find them a bit flowery but at the same time the ones I have seen have been very pleasant with some fantastic locations and cracking old tackle. ( I even took some photos of the Ambidex he was using on one of the programs)
I will have to see what I have missed out on!
I looked up the link that was posted by Rod Fisher and that was interesting, looks quite a select syndicate.... and Olly has fished the same swim as a member, very nice it looked too! Thats great.
Peter has probably got a few more fish under his belt now!
Thanks all
Mr B
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Mr B wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:30 am Thanks troops,
I have seen a few of his videos but without getting shot out the park I do find them a bit flowery but at the same time the ones I have seen have been very pleasant with some fantastic locations and cracking old tackle. ( I even took some photos of the Ambidex he was using on one of the programs)
I will have to see what I have missed out on!
I looked up the link that was posted by Rod Fisher and that was interesting, looks quite a select syndicate.... and Olly has fished the same swim as a member, very nice it looked too! Thats great.
Peter has probably got a few more fish under his belt now!
Thanks all
Mr B
I know what you mean about 'flowery' as the soft light, cello accompanied theme has continued and been much copied since Passion. But Passion was the first and needs to be viewed as such. To anglers at the time, it was a breath of fresh air, no celebrities, no match or competition, just two guys doing it their way. Of course, nothing on TV is quite as it seems but the analysis comes afterwards. When you do watch it, try to see it from that perspective. :Hat:

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

The Longford is now a mainly fly fishing for trout syndicate - with occasional salmon and seatrout. A friend was on the waiting list for membership for 7 years before gaining entry. I dropped out about 20 years ago when the annual cost reached £1000.

I now a fish two Syndicates, both a few miles downstream of Salisbury where the Longford Estate is situated.

Shropshire Lad
Perch

Post by Shropshire Lad »

Blimey, I thought everyone had seen passion for angling, better late than never.

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

I did give it a go when it first came out but only very briefly, it wasn't my cup of tea then, I remember thinking they were like a couple of school boys, childish silly banter.
But did enjoy the locations.
I have mellowed as I've got older and like to think I have changed my opinion on a lot of things.
I have been watching a few in the series and have enjoyed them but the quality on YouTube hasn't been that good, I will have to look out for a DVD
I don't have any time for the yobbish celebrity fishing programs at all.
No wonder you pulled out Olly at that price but have found another nice location that sounds very nice, I know were that is.
Thanks for your comments gents, I'm going to look for another episode! (after I have caught up with the new posts on TFF.)

Mr B
Last edited by Mr B on Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I did Mr. B - - - but this one is now nearing the same price!! Mind you it is for fishing every day of the year - - - - except Xmas Day at a little over £2.20 per day!

I used to smoke - either a pipe or cigarettes - - - that is even more expensive now!!

Return to “Chris Yates”