A question on the Monach 66

The K. P. Morritts Reels forum.
Rockape
Roach

A question on the Monach 66

Post by Rockape »

Thanks to Stingray and some other knowledgeable forum members here I have managed to get a fairly good grip on KP Morritt / Intrepid history and reel lineage (memories from my youth have contributed a bit too), but I do have a question on the Monarch 66 model, which I would place around 1964 or 1965.

Does anyone know how long this model was in production for, or have any other snippets of info on it?

I obtained this black one recently (only ever saw them in red before... the few I have seen anyway).

Cheers all.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Stingray
Grayling

Re: A question on the Monach 66

Post by Stingray »

Hi, Paul.

As far as I know the "66" in the name is indeed the year they appeared and there are so few of them about (one of the rarest Intrepids) I would not be surprised if they were only produced for a year or so. If anyone can find some magazine ads for it it would help nail it down. My 66 is red, others are grey, black may be original too or possibly repainted.

Rockape
Roach

Post by Rockape »

Thanks for that Stingray (sorry if I missed your name in any previous correspondence?).

I didn't realise they were so scarce, but I will keep an eye out for a red one (fingers crossed).

I guess it was kind of obvious on the year.. Lol.
Paint wise, it does match the finish I am used to seeing on Intrepids of the time, but who knows for sure?

Bayleaf
Gudgeon

Post by Bayleaf »

My first fixed spool was a Truspin and they were available in grey or red. Still use an Elite.

Rockape
Roach

Post by Rockape »

Hi Bayleaf,

I'm a tad too young (never thought I'd say that) to have bought one new, but I made up for it with this one (originl paint, sort of grey/brown?).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

Like many anglers of a certain age the first reel I bought for myself, paper round wages, was an Intrepid. I bought an Intrepid 66 in 1966. That reel has long gone but I did, had to purchase this excellent boxed example a few years ago. Ah such memories.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Rockape
Roach

Post by Rockape »

Beautiful example Fredline, thanks for posting.

Bayleaf
Gudgeon

Post by Bayleaf »

Lovely example Rockape, I remember mine as a lighter grey but it was early 60s. I used it until the bail arm got grooved by the line and bought a Regent, always wanted an Elite but couldn't afford one then. Have a lovely one now.
Think I could do with a few more Intrepids. Oh dear!

Rockape
Roach

Post by Rockape »

I know what you mean Bayleaf, not only am I collecting these reels, but when I see a better example, I have to get it (I have 10 New De Luxes because of that... sigh!).

I don't have an Elite yet (I have 3 similar design Surfcasts though... Four if I include the car boot sale one I stripped for spares), but I was reading through a thread here about the Elite variations, so it could get messy for me.

I have a lovery condition Regent and an equally nice boxed Classic on the way.

Aside from 'upgrading to' immaculate boxed reels, I only have about 8 more to get to complete the Morritts fixed spool set,
but then there are the last few Mitchells and ABU's that are eluding me too, so more heartache for my poor suffering wife.

I mentioned the Surfcasts.
This one looks like it never saw the beach.
Last edited by Rockape on Wed Mar 01, 2023 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bayleaf
Gudgeon

Post by Bayleaf »

I think a Surfcast is on the cards to pair with a stepped up carp rod my Dad built. I live near the coast.

Return to “K. P. Morritts Reels”