Reed floats....

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Reed floats....

Post by BoltonBullfinch »

Here are some reed bodied floats that i have been making to while away these long winter evenings.
I have found using reed a bit of a challenge due to its fragility but now seem to have finally got round to cutting and shaping the reed to a acceptable standard to show the floats to the critical eyes of the TFF members. All the floats are different as i dont have the patience to try and produce exact copies.
20230219_105458_resize_57.jpg
Thanks
BB
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'We fish a lot' Forrest Gump.

Duckett
Tench

Re: Reed floats....

Post by Duckett »

They look fantastic BB. I’ve tried a couple of stepped wagglers using Sarkanda Reed, with mixed results. However, I’ve recently got hold of some Norfolk Reed and am going to try making some stepped wagglers with it. First uses, on two bodied wagglers, do suggest it’s quite fragile.

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Grumpy
Arctic Char

Post by Grumpy »

They look great BB. :Hat:

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

Very nice indeed :Hat:

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

Very nice Paul 👍👍.

I was a bit meagre in the varnishing stakes with the first ones I made a few years ago, and discovered the reed absorbed water , it was a bit strange when at first they cocked perfectly, but as the session progressed the float started to get lower and lower. :Chuckle: :Chuckle:

David
Last edited by Old Man River on Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

They are excellent BB. This is how I construct mine from start to finish. I find the filler on the joints makes the whipping transition very easy.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

Fredline wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:33 pm They are excellent BB. This is how I construct mine from start to finish. I find the filler on the joints makes the whipping transition very easy.
I dont know what type of filler you use Fredline, I have started to use a two part epoxy putty which you can smooth off as it dries with a wet finger, very little sanding , if any at all is needed and there is no mess.
It arrives in two sealed bars a bit like plasticine, I just cut a small piece from each bar, mix together with a palette knife and that is it , mould it on with your fingers, leave it for five mins , smooth it off with a damp finger and the joint is finished and sealed in one . It weighs a bit more than standard powder filler but not much .
I got the idea from the ceramics restorer on Repair Shop. It sets quickly and is rock hard when it has thoroughly dried, but can still be sanded if needed.

David
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

Very nice indeed :Hat:
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

Old Man River wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:50 pm
Fredline wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:33 pm They are excellent BB. This is how I construct mine from start to finish. I find the filler on the joints makes the whipping transition very easy.
I dont know what type of filler you use Fredline, I have started to use a two part epoxy putty which you can smooth off as it dries with a wet finger, very little sanding , if any at all is needed and there is no mess.
It arrives in two sealed bars a bit like plasticine, I just cut a small piece from each bar, mix together with a palette knife and that is it , mould it on with your fingers, leave it for five mins , smooth it off with a damp finger and the joint is finished and sealed in one . It weighs a bit more than standard powder filler but not much .
I got the idea from the ceramics restorer on Repair Shop. It sets quickly and is rock hard when it has thoroughly dried, but can still be sanded if needed.

David
I use Fine Surface Polyfilla at the moment. Prior to that I had a cheapy from the sale bin at B & Q. I have never had a problem.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Post by BoltonBullfinch »

There is no filler on these floats, i gently sand the edges so the whipping thread rides up onto the next size reed.

Thanks
BB
'We fish a lot' Forrest Gump.

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”