Dawsons catalog pike rod

The Dawsons of Bromley Rods forum.
Waynee45
Ruffe

Dawsons catalog pike rod

Post by Waynee45 »

Hi all, having read a few of the previous posts which rod did Dawsons actually class as a pike rod in their catalog. I love piking and already have a couple of Chapmans Dennis Pye rods and was thinking of collecting few others.

Olly
Wild Carp

Re: Dawsons catalog pike rod

Post by Olly »

A lot depends upon how far you need to cast - and what method you use. A 2lb t/c is ok for ledgering with a small bait or using a small mackerel tail - while the Pye rod, I too have one, is for even heavier stuff with t/c of 4lb allegedly - I haven't measured mine.

I would not advise a cane rod for distance piking - but a glass rod of 3lb works very well.

Waynee45
Ruffe

Post by Waynee45 »

Olly wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 2:16 pm A lot depends upon how far you need to cast - and what method you use. A 2lb t/c is ok for ledgering with a small bait or using a small mackerel tail - while the Pye rod, I too have one, is for even heavier stuff with t/c of 4lb allegedly - I haven't measured mine.

I would not advise a cane rod for distance piking - but a glass rod of 3lb works very well.
Hi Olly,
Once again thank you for the info. On the Dennis Pye rods, my 2 piece definitely feels stiffer then the 3 piece.
Regards
Wayne

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Maybe a "Silure" rod then! A catfish of ~ 91lb! - was caught locally in 2022!

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

I actually like using my 9ft Dawsons Burly..
As yet I haven't landed a Pike with it but imagine in the right hands that there's probably not a Pike this side of the Mississippi Delta that would break it.
The only problem is it is rather stiff, could that be the reason I have lost two Pike on it?
The last Pike I hooked put a nice bend in it but there was so much more left to give.
Saying that the Pike was probably in the 15 lbs ish category it's hard to say.
But The Dawson's Burley is a rod I do enjoy using.

Mr B
Ps... not sure what it's listed in the catalog, they cam in different lengths
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

I use a chapman 550 for pretty much all of my piking, fishing in close usually does the trick for me coupled with a centre pin…

" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Dawsons sold a pike rod called the Challenger. They are often used as carp rods these days.

Wal.

Waynee45
Ruffe

Post by Waynee45 »

Thank you all for the extra info and food for thought.
Regards
Wayne

Return to “Dawsons of Bromley Cane Rods”