A testing session....for a number of reasons

This forum belongs to the River Trent.
TrentFisher
Crucian Carp

A testing session....for a number of reasons

Post by TrentFisher »

Saturday saw me back on the Trent for an afternoon session.
During the week I had in mind to angle for perch.
I had put a my favourite Diawa Barnsley Black quiver tip rod in the bag.
I was planning trying a slightly different approch and (close your ears) regarding the float fishing side and had sometime ago purchased a 5.0m telescopic Bolognesse rod and this would be used to hold the float close to the willow branches over hanging a number of swims.
If the conditions are just right the flow is that of a canal and the prospects looked good.
HOWEVER....
I had a change of heart and opted for another go at the chub on the float.
HOWEVER.....
Before setting off my neighbour knocked on the down and ask for some help,after completing my good deed it was off to the river.
And guess who had forgotten to add my 13ft Shakesspeare champion glass rod to his bag!
This was discovered on arrival at the Trent and setting up was underway.
I could have walked back home and returned but would have lost 30-40 minutes.
So I put the Bolo rod to use coupled with a closed face reel and 5gram bolo float which I sometime use with my normal 13ft rod set up.
It took some getting use to the set up but I got settled and the float was travelling nicely and holding back when required.
The afternoon moved on at a pace,only interupted by the sound of long tailed tits,a flash of a kingfisher and a sparrow hawk moving from bank to bank.
The mash bread was fed at regular intervals to try and draw those chub in but nothing showed for my efforts.
Time was pressing on ,now passed four o' clock.
I mixed up some more mashed bread,but there was the sixth sense someting would change and soon.The energy,that feeling,we all get as fisherman was present.
More feed was intrduced and on the third or fourth trot the float diappeared at the far end of the swim near the cover of overhaning branches.
The strike was made.
The rod took on a welcomed curve and the initial surge of what could only be a chub and the battle was on.
Playing a good size fish a distance is always a great thrill.
This chub had got some attitude and was stay deep twisting and turning.
I waited and in between those surges from the chub I would carefully gain some line and ease my prize upstream.
Finally the tip of the float emmerged and following a brief battle under the rod tip the chub was slipped over the rim of the net.
Yes! was the word that ran through my mind and it may have well been vocal as well!
A fish certainly over four pounds lay in the net,admired,rested and returned.
I had around half an hour of daylight left .
Some more mash was fed and further trots made .
One resulted in another chub close to four pounds....happy days.
As with all back end of the season sessions the afternoons just fly by and it was time to pack up and reflect on the fish cuaght,the tackle pressed into action and the surroungs and just being there to make a memory......pretty good this fishing lark.
Until the next adventure.

All the best Nige.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Re: A testing session....for a number of reasons

Post by Dave Burr »

Nice writeup Nige, it's a pity you haven't added a picture of the scene and the fish, it adds so much to the writing.

As for telescopic rods, they are definitely something I avoid but, each to their own.

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Good report Nige. I like your expression " the energy " for the ancient hunting senses that all good anglers carry far closer to the surface than most folk :Hat:

TrentFisher
Crucian Carp

Post by TrentFisher »

Hi Dave,

I normally get to involved with the fishing,but on this occasion here's one the chub.
chub 1.JPG
All the best -Nige.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Moley
Brown Trout

Post by Moley »

Splendid effort Nige. Where abouts on Trent as the tidal is bereft of trees. Was this Burton or above as that has over- hanging trees.

Good fish always come to those who wait and better still know what they are doing.

As ever,....

Moley
Say aye tae'a pie!

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

Liphook wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:28 am Good report Nige. I like your expression " the energy " for the ancient hunting senses that all good anglers carry far closer to the surface than most folk :Hat:
In several of his books, Chris Yates writes of these occasions when he felt absurdly confident something special was about to happen. I've not experienced it much when Coarse fishing but frequently when after Sea Trout and Salmon I suddenly knew I was going to get a fish. I well remember one very lean season on the local spate river ; an early September morning I had decided to investigate the .river Neath fishing potential. Walking the dog prior to setting off I suddenly knew I needed to fish the pool close to home. The river was at a perfect ten inches on with a light peat stain. Within an hour I had two nice Grilse and moved a third on a Black and Silver size 8 double. These were the first fish to come from the pool for at least a month.

TrentFisher
Crucian Carp

Post by TrentFisher »

Moley wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:34 pm Splendid effort Nige. Where abouts on Trent as the tidal is bereft of trees. Was this Burton or above as that has over- hanging trees.

Good fish always come to those who wait and better still know what they are doing.

As ever,....

Moley
I live at Colwick,the stretch I fish is opposite Holme Pierrepont water sports centre ,and trees are a plenty.

Not sure about the actual know what I am doing but I mange a few goods un's now and again!

The much favoured Shakespeare Champion 13 footer is now in the bag and will remain there until the end of the season!

All the best-Nige.

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

TrentFisher wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:13 pm Hi Dave,

I normally get to involved with the fishing,but on this occasion here's one the chub.

chub 1.JPG

All the best -Nige.
What a chunky chub, perfect back-end condition :Thumb:

Grumpy
Arctic Char

Post by Grumpy »

Excellent account and fine Chub.

TrentFisher
Crucian Carp

Post by TrentFisher »

Just a add on to this....
I fished the glide yesterday and was kept busy.
tackle was my favoured Shakespeare 13ft Champion rod and Mitchell 300.Float again was a modern bolo type 5 gram.
Bait was my much used mashed bread and 15mm bread punched discs.These are folded gently pinched and hooked through the fold.
I ended up with 7 bream ranging from 4-6lb and 5 chub between 1-4lb.
So the landing net was kept busy with over 40lb of fish landed and only one fish slipping the hook.

Will this run of good results last?

All the best with your outings.
-Nige

Return to “River Trent”