Luton shops.

Do you know of a good traditional fishing tackle shop, past and present.
Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Re: Luton shops.

Post by Dave Burr »

Nostalgia is a great way of dealing with the present. The whole shopping experience has changed immeasurably since my youth both, for the better and the worse. I also miss the tackle shops of the 60's but, a decade or two later, the smells of carp baits began to dominate the atmosphere. Smells that will be indelibly etched into the minds of the children that visited those very shops and which they will doubtless yearn for in their advanced years.

I'm still working on my time machine, if I can sort out the glitches - starting with finding where the neighbour's cat went - I'll be organising trips to the shop or water of your choice :Wink:

Bayleaf
Gudgeon

Post by Bayleaf »

I think my trip might involve the Grand Union Canal at Bulbourne where I caught my first half pound roach. Wonder what happened to Charlie, Ian and Sea fishing Fred?

Albert47
Dace

Post by Albert47 »

Bayleaf.Do you also remember Aubrey Lewis the gunsmith,George Ripper barber shop;Wilds,the Model Shop,Anglers and Pets Cabin all of which sold fishing tackle in Luton.

Bayleaf
Gudgeon

Post by Bayleaf »

Was Aubrey Lewis the shop opposite St Mary's Church? I'd forgotten about Wildes, I think that's where the chap from the Co-Op moved to but I can't be sure about the others, was the Model Shop the one up near the old Odeon cinema?

Albert47
Dace

Post by Albert47 »

Hi Bayleaf. Yes,the Model Shop was in Waldeck road opposite the Odeon,and another shop next to the Odeon,selling tackle was Shanks and Turner owned by to ex Luton footballers.You are also right about Aubrey Lewis being in Church Sreet.

Bayleaf
Gudgeon

Post by Bayleaf »

Hi Albert, I remember them now. When I was a young angler I remember buying a wet Zulu fly from Aubrey Lewis, I don't know why as I had no fly tackle I think it ended up in my hat. Better than a bush as they seem to now!

Return to “Traditional Fishing Tackle Shops, Past and Present”