Just bought some worms for the Wally Jolly...

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
Aitch
Pike

Just bought some worms for the Wally Jolly...

Post by Aitch »

:shocked:
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Northern_Nomad
Arctic Char

Re: Just bought some worms for the Wally Jolly...

Post by Northern_Nomad »

You’ll regret it when the minnows keep pestering you all day :Chuckle:
"We knelt side by side looking at it. I knew it was big, and suddenly it dawned on me it was more than that. It was tremendous!" - Richard Walker

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

Well, if that worm is indicative of the size of the gudgeon you're expecting, then it should be a very good day.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Why do I get the feeling it would eat the Gonk!

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

MWithell
Chub

Post by MWithell »

I've just had to throw away the dandybeanoes (or whatever they're called) I had. I assume they got too cold. They were in an unheated building so probably froze to death. I hadn't realised they'd feel the cold that much. I have a pint of maggots so let's hope that's enough to satisfy the hunger of the mighty gonks and any ronks, donks, ponks or chonks that might put in an appearance.
Malcolm

Catching lob-worms is one of the greater Outdoor Sports. It is the most hilarious game in the world (John C Moore)

Wallyboy Rob
Chub
Location: On the Wally as often as possible ( Portsmouth area)

Post by Wallyboy Rob »

Half a pint will be plenty Malcolm, you don't need to loosefeed much
going with the flow - You gotta luv them gonks

"There's no way you're going to get a quote from us to use on your book cover" Metropolitan Police spokesperson
from the back cover of Wall and piece - Banksy

MWithell
Chub

Post by MWithell »

I'll have some left, then, which will be up for grabs, as we're going away for the week on Monday so I won't be using them.
Malcolm

Catching lob-worms is one of the greater Outdoor Sports. It is the most hilarious game in the world (John C Moore)

Moley
Brown Trout

Post by Moley »

Hi Malcolm

Maggots and a few slices of Mothers Shame for punch are all that you need.

Two rods maximum one longer for the more open areas, few and far between, say about 10ft 6in and shorter rod 8/9ft if you have one for the frequently cramped swims.

If you've got two rods set up the longer on the waggler and the shorter with a small stick or even a castable pole float. Top and bottom though to give a different presentation as sometimes one way is wanted by the fish over the other.

If you want to pick up the bigger Gonks, fish over depth and slow everything down. Laying on works well too.

The depth, even in flood, will be only a few foot so no worries there but be on the watch for deeper holes as there be Gonks within.

Take a tape measure to ascertain your specimen Gonk size and camera, as there will be doubters.

Because of the floods many swims will contain bits of tree and other float snaring hazards so be prepared for losses. Overhanging trees are another joy so take more than one float and make sure it is not a family heirloom or you could end up pining for that lost float like young Wally Boy who still tears up at the mention of it.

Bring plenty of scran and tea, watch the dodgy element and the day will be an experience you will want to repeat.

Trust me I'm a Doctor.......

As ever,...

Moley
Say aye tae'a pie!

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Aitch wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:37 pm Image

:shocked:
I suggest a baguette rather than sliced bread for that one.

MWithell
Chub

Post by MWithell »

Thanks for the practical advice, Moley. I have a special Wally rod I bought for the occasion - a 10.5 ft Young's of Harrow Otter - but the only shorter one apart from a fly rod is a 9 ft Sundridge leger rod which is rather stiff, and a cheap 6ft telescopic job.
I'll bring them all, plus a selection of reels.
It's ages since I've fished a river, apart from a day with Martin James in October, when I used a leger, so it will be a refresher course for me.
I assume we can expect low, clear water as there's been no rain recently. These days I'm no fan of roving so if I find a fishable spot I'm likely to park myself in it for the duration.
I don't drink tea if I can help it, but I'll bring a flask of coffee and some diabetic-friendly food.
See you at 4 am on Saturday, or more likely quite a bit later!
Malcolm

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”