Any ideas who made this please

Traditional landing nets large and small.
Barbelseeker
Brown Trout

Any ideas who made this please

Post by Barbelseeker »

Folding landing net with brass triangular locking mechanism. The arms of the landing net are Bamboo tapering slightly down to the leather flexible throng, the spacer is stamped no 12, but I can see no other marks - the mechanism itself is very well manufactured and still functioning. Length of arms about 18" and handle (also bamboo) is 30"

Thanking you in advance
Peter

Barbelseeker
Brown Trout

Re: Any ideas who made this please

Post by Barbelseeker »

Did you rewhip the leather back onto the arms - or disconnect the arms from the spreader back to put on the net?

Must admit - I was going to sell it - but where can you find another (apart from yours) like it

Polecat501
Dace

Post by Polecat501 »

That’s a well designed and engineered solution to the folding net need. My guess (and it’s only a guess) is that it’s a European manufacturer, rather than English. I’ve had a quick look around online but can’t find a mechanism like it. Very interesting.

Silfield
Brown Trout

Post by Silfield »

A very nice net you have, and one that is a handy size to use if you are not intending to target large fish :eyebrow: . I have something similar, also now sporting a Snowbee rubberised mesh that is a handy size for fly-fishing although a very wild 4+lb Brownie had me wishing for something a bit larger!
Mine has a spring loading locking pin but basically the same.

“There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind.”
Washington Irving

Silfield
Brown Trout

Post by Silfield »

Rod Fisher wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:58 pm
Barbelseeker wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 3:31 pm Image
Rod Fisher wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 4:24 pm Image
Barbelseeker, I believe you and I own "Lockfast"/"Lock-fast" landing nets from either Watson & Hancock of 308 High Holborn, London, or Messrs. W. T. Hancock & Co. of 4, Pall Mall Place, St. James', depending on their age (Watson & Son would continue from the High Holborn address).
Silfield wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:19 pm Image
Silfield, yours is a "Quicksure"/"Quick-sure" landing net, also from Hancock & Co., introduced a little before 1895.

"The workmanship of the whole implement is of high class, and there is little risk that it will get out of order if subjected to ordinary fair treatment. The net itself is made of durable material, and has the further advantage of being of a good size. For Salmon and Grilse the handle is made Malacca or other cane."
I think S. Allcock & Co. acted as an agent for them at some stage, selling their tackle until the early 1930s.
Thanks for the information, I have been looking on and off for the last 20 years for a makers name and now I have one :Thumb:
I can attest to the highlighted text, as from folded all it needs is a light flick to lock into position.
“There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind.”
Washington Irving

Barbelseeker
Brown Trout

Post by Barbelseeker »

Rod Fisher wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:58 pm
Barbelseeker wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 3:31 pm Image
Rod Fisher wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 4:24 pm Image
Barbelseeker, I believe you and I own "Lockfast"/"Lock-fast" landing nets from either Watson & Hancock of 308 High Holborn, London, or Messrs. W. T. Hancock & Co. of 4, Pall Mall Place, St. James', depending on their age (Watson & Son would continue from the High Holborn address, and Hancock traded from both addresses for a time). The arms may be lancewood rather than bamboo.
Silfield wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:19 pm Image
Silfield, yours is a "Quicksure"/"Quick-sure" landing net, also from Hancock & Co., introduced a little before 1895.

"The workmanship of the whole implement is of high class, and there is little risk that it will get out of order if subjected to ordinary fair treatment. The net itself is made of durable material, and has the further advantage of being of a good size. For Salmon and Grilse the handle is made Malacca or other cane."
S. Allcock & Co. began acting as an agent for them at some stage, they were selling the landing nets into the 1930s.

Allcocks Guide 1933

Sir,

I thank you for that information - at least I now know

Return to “Traditional Landing Nets”