The Allcocks Wizard: Ringing the Changes - and Changing the Rings

The Allcocks Rods forum.
Olly
Wild Carp

Re: The Allcocks Wizard: Ringing the Changes - and Changing the Rings

Post by Olly »

A cracking amount of information - thanks.

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

Given the rave reviews of the Wizard, my Gold Label model seems very soft compared to the steely caned descriptions of others I have read... it does make a nice float rod though, but only with one of Wal's Butt extensions on it... otherwise it feels unbalanced
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

JAA
Crucian Carp

Post by JAA »

Aitch wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 1:39 pm Given the rave reviews of the Wizard, my Gold Label model seems very soft compared to the steely caned descriptions of others I have read...
"Welcome to built cane" :Wink:

Rods vary quite a lot - I've got a 10' Allcocks Superb and a chum also has one and they might as well be different rods - they have same tapers, length fitting etc. My 'Superb' is steely, his is quite soft in comparison.

That said, you can do worse that fit titanium pac-bay minima rings to a cane rod if you are not looking for precise reproduction, they are much lighter and can make quite a difference - as much as a half an ounce. This said the 'Superb' has the opposite problem with its handle, that it was way way (way) too long...31"...
¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´¯ ><(((º>
Cole aka JAA
https://crucians.org/
https://www.anotherangler.net/

Champ
Chub

Post by Champ »

A very interesting update RF.Especially on the "Black Label Wizard".Many thanks :Hat: .

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

Very interesting indeed, thanks for posting :Hat:
I've no idea how long it took to research and write this article, but I'm glad that you did.

Hard to fault the Wizard really, although I have yet to handle two that felt the same.

My preference would be for the earlier, green stained rod, but they're all lovely.

Champ
Chub

Post by Champ »

:holmes: :Wink: ..................

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Aitch wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 1:39 pm Given the rave reviews of the Wizard, my Gold Label model seems very soft compared to the steely caned descriptions of others I have read... it does make a nice float rod though, but only with one of Wal's Butt extensions on it... otherwise it feels unbalanced
I wouldn’t take my Gold Label Super Wizard out without Wal’s extension!

I’m not sure whether this is odd or not but I also find it better balanced with a 4 inch wooden ‘pin rather than a lighter alloy ‘pin.

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

Duckett wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:34 pm
Aitch wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 1:39 pm Given the rave reviews of the Wizard, my Gold Label model seems very soft compared to the steely caned descriptions of others I have read... it does make a nice float rod though, but only with one of Wal's Butt extensions on it... otherwise it feels unbalanced

I’m not sure whether this is odd or not but I also find it better balanced with a 4 inch wooden ‘pin rather than a lighter alloy ‘pin.

Phil
I suppose that with the short butt a pin would be placed near the bottom of the handle to balance it
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Aitch wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:41 pm
Duckett wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:34 pm

Phil
I suppose that with the short butt a pin would be placed near the bottom of the handle to balance it
You are almost certainly correct Aitch. Given the, already heavy, wooden butt with just thin sheet cork, I was a bit surprised at the results when I experimented!

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

The reason the Wizard feels out of balance is that it was meant to be fished with the reel below the hand.

Post-war nobody much fished that style and some of the last Wizards made have longer handles to suit modern styles.

Here's the man himself doing it the old way:

That said, he does seem to fish with his hand as far forward as is possible and the reel tightly behind that, so I do wonder if he really got it balanced at all:

Return to “Allcocks Cane Rods”