Have you purchased an Edward Barder rod and used it?

The Edward Barder Rods forum.
David
Dace

Have you purchased an Edward Barder rod and used it?

Post by David »

Have you ever purchased an Edward Barder rod and used it ? I ordered two Barder rods in 1996 and by 1998 I hade received both. When I ordered them I asked Edward to make me a Bishop and a M1V Carp. I told Edward to whip both in Bottle green, with crimson tipping's, and add progressive intermediate whippings to both. At the time Edward said to me that it made the MK1V look like a baby Bishop. I had them numbered 1 & 2 Both are still in excellent condition even though I used them regularly over years but I really look after them after every trip. I honestly can't see the sense in buying one of his rods, just to put it in a cupboard in case it might be worth more in the future.
What do other members think, and what have you done with yours if you've purchased one?

Olly
Wild Carp

Re: Have you purchased an Edward Barder rod and used it?

Post by Olly »

Being a clumsy at times angler I wouldn't even think of buying one - my rods are just tools to catch fish!

If I owned one it would have occasional use for smallish fish.

I like antiques and would rather buy something for the same money to look at - - and enjoy! A fish painting or a rare angling book.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Yes and yes.
I started buying Edward's rods in the 1995 and now have 13 of his sublime wands. I pretty much use them exclusively, as that is what they were intended for.
I use them as normal rods and don't treat them as anything particularly special; they can even get a bit abused when playing big fish, but they are still dead straight and in lovely condition. I take them back to him for a once over every now and again; he usually chastises me for not cleaning them better but they always come back like new. Why own one and not use it? Beats me.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Caneforme
Perch

Post by Caneforme »

I am with Snape on this one.

I will be using my Barder rod every time I go fishing (which on average is 5 times a week in the Spring, Summer, Autumn and decent winter weeks). She will be very well cared for but also very well used.
The only time I will not take her is if I am after fish that she was not designed to target.

In the 1990s and early 2000s I owned classic cars which I restored to concourse condition. They were driven every day, in all weathers (and were better for it). I cared for them, a lot but enjoyed driving them.

The way I look at the cost is........Rod £2000, 5 days a week at 6 hours a session for 10 months for 5 years is 33p an hour. Cheaper than having a pint at the pub :Wink:

John :)
This royal throne of kings, this sceptered isle,
This happy breed of men, this little world,
This precious stone set in the silver sea,
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England.

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

No, but I certainly would if I had one...

Shropshire Lad
Perch

Post by Shropshire Lad »

I would ask what is the point of purchasing a fishing rod if your not going to use it

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Shropshire Lad wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 6:23 pm I would ask what is the point of purchasing a fishing rod if your not going to use it
I think some people consider it an investment. A new Barder rod in the early 90s was £250. That will now fetch £2000+.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Just buy Hardy Tackle! Seems to go up & up - - especially the Anniversary items! Not using it will even increase the price!

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

My mate Paul taking one of the very earliest Barder carp rods (Bishop possibly?) right round to the butt and beyond on an Ebro carp. The rod belongs to another mate and it has been…ahem…heavily used. It is still as straight as the day it came out the bag for the first time.

“Made to be Used”

Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

David
Dace

Post by David »

Hi to all those who use Edwards rods They are great rods to use. People often write about his rods saying how expensive they are. but if you take in to account the workmanship and then divide the number of hours taken to build them the hourly rate charged. seems very reasonable. One of my Bishops rings became damaged and Edward replaced it for me. I told him how bad I felt when I noticed it broken. He said to me that when he makes these minor repairs that these things happen to all rods and he was just glad to see his rods being used and not just stored away.

Return to “Edward Barder Cane Rods”