Pellets

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
OldRod
Grayling

Re: Pellets

Post by OldRod »

When in a Toulouse restaurant on a work trip years ago, there were, amongst many other items as starters, pigs' trotters, and cocks' combs.
An English chap in our party said "I've never had pigs' trotters", to which I said "You don't know what you've missed"'
He looked doubtful, so I said "tell you what, if you have the trotters, I'll go for the cocks' combs", which I had never even heard of as a dish, never mind eaten.
Agreed!
His lovely trotters arrived in what he confirmed was a delicious sauce, and, having been correct in my assumption that cocks' combs were what I thought they were, (the red several pointy wobbly bit on top of a cock's head) I was presented with 2 such shaped large grey lumps of pure fat, which had been I guess steamed or perhaps boiled. I had assumed they would contain at least some amount of what could be described as "meat", and would be fried or roasted. No. Pure, grey FAT! They had just skinned these combs and as I say steamed them.
Now I will eat most things, but one forkful of this was as much as I could take. Positively disgusting. And to add insult to injury, 18 euros!
At the end of the game, the pawn and the King go back into the same box........

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

OldRod wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 1:52 pm When in a Toulouse restaurant on a work trip years ago, there were, amongst many other items as starters, pigs' trotters, and cocks' combs.
An English chap in our party said "I've never had pigs' trotters", to which I said "You don't know what you've missed"'
He looked doubtful, so I said "tell you what, if you have the trotters, I'll go for the cocks' combs", which I had never even heard of as a dish, never mind eaten.
Agreed!
His lovely trotters arrived in what he confirmed was a delicious sauce, and, having been correct in my assumption that cocks' combs were what I thought they were, (the red several pointy wobbly bit on top of a cock's head) I was presented with 2 such shaped large grey lumps of pure fat, which had been I guess steamed or perhaps boiled. I had assumed they would contain at least some amount of what could be described as "meat", and would be fried or roasted. No. Pure, grey FAT! They had just skinned these combs and as I say steamed them.
Now I will eat most things, but one forkful of this was as much as I could take. Positively disgusting. And to add insult to injury, 18 euros!
Not come across “cocks’ combs” on a menu before and, I agree, I can’t see any pleasure in that. I was a bit cautious about Duck Gizzards in Gascony, where they are said to eat “All of the duck apart from the quack”. However, they are extremely tasty as a starter.

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Moley
Brown Trout

Post by Moley »

When in Hong Kong, years ago when it was still a fine bastion of the British Empire whilst wandering around one of the more obscure markets Fatty thought he would buy a largish jar of pickled walnuts. Having purchased said jar and back at the ranch so to speak, closer inspection of the purchase showed the contents to be distinctly non walnutty and more insectivorous in nature.

Asking one of the locals who could speak English what the contents were he explained that they were indeed insects.....cockroaches to be precise!

Whoops....the devil may care Herr Bartlett Mole was tempted to give them as a gift to Matron but decided that her revenge would be slow and painful, wisely deciding to give them away to the translator who seemed to relish such a dish. So at least someone was happy.

As ever,....

Moley
Say aye tae'a pie!

OldRod
Grayling

Post by OldRod »

Duckett wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 2:54 pm
OldRod wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 1:52 pm When in a Toulouse restaurant on a work trip years ago, there were, amongst many other items as starters, pigs' trotters, and cocks' combs.
Agreed!
Not come across “cocks’ combs” on a menu before and, I agree, I can’t see any pleasure in that. I was a bit cautious about Duck Gizzards in Gascony, where they are said to eat “All of the duck apart from the quack”. However, they are extremely tasty as a starter.

Phil
Duck gizzards - magret de canard - I agree are very tasty Phil, and can be the basis of many a fine meal.
I also agree that I was a bit apprehensive when I first had them.
And I am glad to say I have not seen cocks' combs since then!
At the end of the game, the pawn and the King go back into the same box........

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Magret de canards = duck breasts.
Gesiers de canards = duck gizzards

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”