Pellets

This is the place to discuss the fishing baits.
Old Man River
Eel

Pellets

Post by Old Man River »

For those of us who like to use traditional baits , I have just found this advert in the “ Creel” magazine from 1964 .

You can now use Pellets confident in the knowledge that they are a true “ traditional “ bait , as they have been around for well over 55 years

David
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Grumpy
Arctic Char

Re: Pellets

Post by Grumpy »

It just goes to show that there is nothing new in fishing.What goes around comes around.Greaves and bullocks brains,the next "in" wonder bait!

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

My wife ate brains in France - - always a few on the butchers shelves in the Supermarket - - along with 1/2 pig heads!

My wife - who did French at Uni - misread the menu in a 5* restaurant - - expensive and not nice mistake!! - - - cerveau and veau - - - - brains & veal!

Grumpy
Arctic Char

Post by Grumpy »

Olly wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:20 pm My wife ate brains in France - - always a few on the butchers shelves in the Supermarket - - along with 1/2 pig heads!

My wife - who did French at Uni - misread the menu in a 5* restaurant - - expensive and not nice mistake!! - - - cerveau and veau - - - - brains & veal!
Yuk! :Thumbsdown::

Silfield
Brown Trout

Post by Silfield »

Olly wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:20 pm My wife ate brains in France - - always a few on the butchers shelves in the Supermarket - - along with 1/2 pig heads!

Had a similar experience with confusing ris & riz. I thought I was ordering a lamb dish with rice (riz) but received lamb sweetbreads(ris)!
Bloomin tasty though, just haven't had the balls to try them again.
“There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind.”
Washington Irving

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Well for bait - I don't know how it is used on the hook - - apart from a pate/paste! Very much like grey liver or lungs. Too :mrgreen: - YUK!

I enjoyed my John Dory - at least I knew what it was! :fishing1: :fishing2:

When I go to France I spend some time reading - and translating - menus from restaurants/cafes in the area!

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Brains are delicious and half a pig’s head is a real treat! I’ve been eating both since I was a child. My Mum and Grandfather were traditional working class advocates of “nose to tail eating” before a London chef invented the phrase to ease people back into eating offal! Incidentally, Pig’s Cheek is probably the tastiest cut on the beast. :drool: :drool: :drool:

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Silfield wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:24 pm

Had a similar experience with confusing ris & riz. I thought I was ordering a lamb dish with rice (riz) but received lamb sweetbreads(ris)!
Bloomin tasty though, just haven't had the balls to try them again.
Heehee! But sweetbreads (ris) are only the pancreas or thymus of the lamb, so I’ve never quite understood the problem people have compared to say, lamb’s liver which is nowhere near as tasty.

My Dad told me that when he was a stockman and the bullocks were being castrated, there was always a queue around the frying pan afterwards! My top tip is a speciality of Corsica, roast wild boar’s penis.

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

JAA
Grayling

Post by JAA »

Never used a pellet, never will. :Hat:
¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´¯ ><(((º>
Cole aka JAA
https://crucians.org/
https://www.anotherangler.net/

MWithell
Chub

Post by MWithell »

It sounds like the bullock's bollocks.
Malcolm

Catching lob-worms is one of the greater Outdoor Sports. It is the most hilarious game in the world (John C Moore)

Return to “Traditional Fishing Bait”