Chapman 650

The Chapmans Rods forum.
Olly
Wild Carp

Chapman 650

Post by Olly »

On that auction website there is allegedly a Chapman 650!

Here is the sellers reply when I questioned:- ""They never made a 650!!!
Sellers reply:- ""Wrong. Was made as a s/u version of the 550 to special order.""

Any more details please??

Keston
Tench

Re: Chapman 650

Post by Keston »

If its the rod I am thinking of then someone posted about it on a FB group earlier today and the rod was thought to be a wrong un .

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

That's the one - seems to have been 'very amended' from others anglers opinions!

I just wondered IF - big if - it could be genuine?

Greentura
Crucian Carp

Post by Greentura »

Called John but went to answerphone, I'll try again tomorrow. My assessment from the pictures is it's had the mid section shortened to match the tip which probably lost a couple of inches, the handle has been lengthened to make it back up to 10' overall by about 12 1/2' shives of a different grade to the original, a non Chapmans style alloy boss and button have been added, all guiles have been repositioned and intermediate whippings added along with a B James style butt guide for a late Mk4 Avon and B James style hook keeper ring. the tip guide is a later one also not used by Chapmans, I bought a load of those on 'that auction site' a few years ago. lastly the first '5' of the '550' has clearly been doctored to look like a '6'. that handle with the button and boss looks to be about 34" counting the shives, making the other two section 3' 9" roughly. Wrong, Just wrong and if that had been custom built the handle would be the same all along it's length.

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Greentura wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:49 pm Called John but went to answerphone, I'll try again tomorrow. My assessment from the pictures is it's had the mid section shortened to match the tip which probably lost a couple of inches, the handle has been lengthened to make it back up to 10' overall by about 12 1/2' shives of a different grade to the original, a non Chapmans style alloy boss and button have been added, all guiles have been repositioned and intermediate whippings added along with a B James style butt guide for a late Mk4 Avon and B James style hook keeper ring. the tip guide is a later one also not used by Chapmans, I bought a load of those on 'that auction site' a few years ago. lastly the first '5' of the '550' has clearly been doctored to look like a '6'. that handle with the button and boss looks to be about 34" counting the shives, making the other two section 3' 9" roughly. Wrong, Just wrong and if that had been custom built the handle would be the same all along it's length.
So all in all a good buy! :Hahaha: :surrender:
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Gilbert
Rudd

Post by Gilbert »

Greentura wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:49 pm Called John but went to answerphone, I'll try again tomorrow. My assessment from the pictures is it's had the mid section shortened to match the tip which probably lost a couple of inches, the handle has been lengthened to make it back up to 10' overall by about 12 1/2' shives of a different grade to the original, a non Chapmans style alloy boss and button have been added, all guiles have been repositioned and intermediate whippings added along with a B James style butt guide for a late Mk4 Avon and B James style hook keeper ring. the tip guide is a later one also not used by Chapmans, I bought a load of those on 'that auction site' a few years ago. lastly the first '5' of the '550' has clearly been doctored to look like a '6'. that handle with the button and boss looks to be about 34" counting the shives, making the other two section 3' 9" roughly. Wrong, Just wrong and if that had been custom built the handle would be the same all along it's length.
AFAIK nobody has asked the length . it may be 10ft 6".... with a longer handle and standard top 2 sections

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

I have a 10’ 6”, believed to be a chapmans built rod three piece detachable butt and restored by Dr Cane himself. I’ve landed some very good carp and pike on it over the years. It’s certainly not a Dennis Pye broomstick, it has a lively and lovely through action….
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Greentura
Crucian Carp

Post by Greentura »

The seller stated 10’ as the length.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

So as far as we can tell at this moment - - - - a fake!

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Olly wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:17 pm So as far as we can tell at this moment - - - - a fake!
I would agree Olly
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Return to “Chapmans Cane Rods”