How Rare is an Ambidex MK 7 ?

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
Dave F
Grayling

How Rare is an Ambidex MK 7 ?

Post by Dave F »

How rare is an Ambidex mk7 ? I have purchased a mk7 type 2 (swan neck). I can’t find anything on the forum about them.
Oh to be at my “Happy Place” where nothing matters but the being there.

Coral Maestro
Chub

Re: How Rare is an Ambidex MK 7 ?

Post by Coral Maestro »

This doesn't answer your question but provides a bit of information about the Mk 7:
https://talesbytheriverbank.wordpress.c ... ark-seven/
What do they know of fishing who know only one fish and one way to fish for him?
- Jack Hargreaves.

Dave F
Grayling

Post by Dave F »

Coral Maestro wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 7:17 am This doesn't answer your question but provides a bit of information about the Mk 7:
https://talesbytheriverbank.wordpress.c ... ark-seven/
Thank you for the link. Very interesting article.

Moley
Brown Trout

Post by Moley »

The Ambidex Mark Seven is a reasonably rare beast and seemingly produced in low numbers. The type two is a bronze colour with a solid handle. The type one was blue.

The type two was launched onto an unsuspecting world in 1964 with the same Swan neck as the Mark Six at the same time. The Seven was the economy version and not as well fitted out or no line roller in the bail arm, solid rather than folding handle, one colour (bronze) and only sold with one spool. The run on these reels was short....so much so it does not seem to be in any catalogues from either Youngs or Allcock.

To find one in reasonable condition, a user perhaps is a rare thing so use it as it needs to be.

You might find not all the parts are original having either been cannibalised from other Ambidex models or put together at the factory from bucket bits. A fairly large number of the Ambidex strain suffer from this and make sure categorisation of the standard model interesting, to say the least. Hence the reliance on catalogues to do so.

Not infallible though.

Hope this clarifies your thoughts a little?

As ever,....

Moley
Say aye tae'a pie!

Dave F
Grayling

Post by Dave F »

Moley wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:08 am The Ambidex Mark Seven is a reasonably rare beast and seemingly produced in low numbers. The type two is a bronze colour with a solid handle. The type one was blue.

The type two was launched onto an unsuspecting world in 1964 with the same Swan neck as the Mark Six at the same time. The Seven was the economy version and not as well fitted out or no line roller in the bail arm, solid rather than folding handle, one colour (bronze) and only sold with one spool. The run on these reels was short....so much so it does not seem to be in any catalogues from either Youngs or Allcock.

To find one in reasonable condition, a user perhaps is a rare thing so use it as it needs to be.

You might find not all the parts are original having either been cannibalised from other Ambidex models or put together at the factory from bucket bits. A fairly large number of the Ambidex strain suffer from this and make sure categorisation of the standard model interesting, to say the least.

Hence the reliance on catalogues to do so.

Not infallible though.

Hope this clarifies your thoughts a little?

As ever,....

Moley
Thank you ever so much for the information. I’m still awaiting the arrival of the reel.

Dave F.

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”