Hardy Greenheart

The Hardy Rods forum.
MikeB3
Stickleback

Hardy Greenheart

Post by MikeB3 »

I have an Alnwick Greenheart 11', made before they wrote line weights on the butt section. Any views please on what might be appropriate? I know I could try a few but a pointer from one of the experts would be helpful.

Interesting action, I have a Bruce &Walker 11' which has been described as like a stick of rhubarb; Hardy's seem to have boiled the rhubarb. But I'd like it to catch a fish.

Best wishes,

Mike

Deaf Cat
Grayling

Re: Hardy Greenheart

Post by Deaf Cat »

Well they would have used silk lines back then.

This compares silk to modern plastic: http://flyanglersonline.com/features/bamboo/part111.php

And this might be helpful: http://classicflyrodforum.com/forum/vie ... hp?t=97326

Try a 7 weight.

Note that it mustn’t have dried out - you don’t want it snapping on the first back cast!
Duffer - The man without skill of hand, without good eyesight and no longer young - the man who really ought to fish!
(H.M. Bateman / R.D. Peck)

MikeB3
Stickleback

Re: Hardy Greenheart

Post by MikeB3 »

Thanks. Both articles interesting, especially the second. I have had mine in the bathroom for some time, perhaps I'll put it in the bath for a day or two. It had obviously dried out before because it was broken (nicely) when I got it and I glued and whipped it back together. I've got to re-do the whipping in proper Hardy green. I tried it with #7 which I thought was perhaps a bit heavy; it certainly casts well though slowly. I've got to re-do the whipping in proper Hardy green.

I don't think I'll use it a lot, when I want a change from the modern black stuff I've got a couple of P & M canes and 11' is a bit long for a lake but it's nice to have. Probably good for the shoulder muscles too.

Best wishes,

Mike

Return to “Hardy Cane Rods”