Christmas Came Early this Year.

The J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels forum.
Dave F
Grayling

Christmas Came Early this Year.

Post by Dave F »

Today (02/11/2022) Christmas came early: a box arrived containing six J.W.Young, Ambidex reels that I had purchased after out bidding some others on eBay. I fell in love with Ambidex after using a near mint mark five edition some months ago. After reading the TFF thread "List of Ambidex Reel Models" submitted by Mark, the history of the reels facinated me and to think, prior to joining TFF I hadn't heard of J.W. Young or Ambidex. I've now crossed to the "Dark Side!"

I didn't realise the number of varients each model had/has. I have obtained a ready assembled collection from a person "down sizing" after twenty odd years of collecting, so now I have eight!!

The oldest reel I think is an original Ambidex dated I think - if I have read the "dating processes" correctly 1946. The reel is black (crinkled paint) plated on one side only; marked as "Casting Reel"; a half bale, J.W. Young & Sons (not Ltd) and Prov Patent 17739 inscription. After cleaning the inside of the side plate, the number 233 has been etched. The spool shows JWY170 and an "A" in a circle over SA24. The solid winding handle is secured with a "nut" and on the other end of the turning shaft is a chromed screw and spacer.

The next reel of interest (to me) is Bronze or Gold coloured, No.1 Casting reel. Plated on one side only: Inscribed - J.W.Young & Sons (No LTD) and again, a Prov Patent 17739. On the rear of the spool is JWY170 only. From the description, can anyone date this reel please.

Incidently:- I need a tensioner/spool retainer for this reel as all that is keeping the spool on is the centre of a tensioner. The part that fits actually on the face of the spool is missing. CAN ANYONE HELP?

The other reels in the collection:-

No.1 half bale showing "Ltd."
"Casting Reel" half bale showing "Ltd."
"Casting Reel" Half bale; No.2.
2x Mark Fives. One with a solid handle, the other with a folding handle.
And last of all, a mark six in near mint condition. Folding handle: Black plates with a blue lining and a "yellowish" spool.

I hope to try them all eventually !!
Oh to be at my “Happy Place” where nothing matters but the being there.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: Christmas Came Early this Year.

Post by Nobby »

Here is the patent application for the first Ambidex reel. It was applied for in 1944 and finally granted on 25.11.'46

If you click on 'original documents' in the upper left window, you can them open the individual pages of the application. Page 4 being the illustrations.
If you open 'maximise' by the page selector you will get a full size and complete image.

You can only access the second image by downloading the file to your device.

The same patent was applied for in the US, but took 5 years to be approved as was their way there.

https://worldwide.espacenet.com/publica ... 2695A&KC=A

Return to “J. W. Young and Allcocks Reels”