My first chapmans

The Chapmans Rods forum.
Harry H
Rainbow Trout

My first chapmans

Post by Harry H »

This was custom made for the sellers father, its called the "Walton" for his fishing trips to Walton on the Naze in Essex.
So the next question what will be restored first the rod or Walton Pier where I intend to take it for its christening.
It's 11ft with wine coloured whippings with copper on the bottom leg of the butt ring, tip ring and the ferrules.
Also has a sliding reel seat with patent details which I've not seen on a sea rod before.
ImageImage
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Lea Dweller
Pike

Re: My first chapmans

Post by Lea Dweller »

That is a great find Richard, does it need restoring? It looks to be in good condition, certainly a 'one off' :Hat:
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

Lea Dweller wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:02 pm That is a great find Richard, does it need restoring? It looks to be in good condition, certainly a 'one off' :Hat:
Yes it does Ted the rings need replacing so it can be used with confidence, it also needs a clean up and revarnish. I haven't put it together yet and give it a waggle to see if the ferrule need refitting
:Hat:
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Harry H wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:26 pm
Lea Dweller wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:02 pm That is a great find Richard, does it need restoring? It looks to be in good condition, certainly a 'one off' :Hat:
Yes it does Ted the rings need replacing so it can be used with confidence, it also needs a clean up and revarnish. I haven't put it together yet and give it a waggle to see if the ferrule need refitting
:Hat:
I am sure that you will do a grand job! :Hat:
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

That looks a beast of a rod Richard, probably double built too.
Ideal for big dead baits and monster catfish.

Wal.

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 12:47 pm That looks a beast of a rod Richard, probably double built too.
Ideal for big dead baits and monster catfish.

Wal.
It is indeed a monster Wal weighing in at 2lb 2oz, 8mm at the tip, 20mm at the butt with a 25mm handle. Double built? How can you tell? I wonder if Chapmans have any records.
Anthony Shepherdson

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

Sorry H .

Not Custom Made ... It's in the Chapman Catalogue

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

Ljm183 wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 3:19 pm Sorry H .

Not Custom Made ... It's in the Chapman Catalogue

No need to be sorry Lee just going by the previous owner, thanks for the picture and info :Hat:
About the only thing that would give it trouble of Walton Pier is if I hooked the lifeboat.
Anthony Shepherdson

Return to “Chapmans Cane Rods”