Chub in a flood?

This forum is for discussing chub.
ExeAngler
Chub

Chub in a flood?

Post by ExeAngler »

Good morning,

Now that we are having the first frosts and rain is forecast on the weather, my angling will move more to rivers until the end of the season. However, with some of them being very prone to flood water, I was wondering if many members of the forum have had much success with Chub in such conditions.? I have had them switch on when the river is coming up and finning down. Never really when it is at the constant, "up" state. Some years after Xmas the upper Bristol Avon and Thames have been unfishable for weeks.

I was thinking Big baits like Cheese or Bread on a lead. Or maybe Stet pegging with Bread flake in the slacks ? Anyone had much experience fishing rivers in these conditions or should I head off to a well stocked still water for a few bites? Regards Exeangler.

Grumpy
Arctic Char

Re: Chub in a flood?

Post by Grumpy »

Chub can certainly be caught in a flooded river,it depends on the flood conditions.If the river is really up and very coloured it can be hard going.If the colour of weakish tea than it can be very good.
I would fish a smelly bait like cheesepaste or a large lobworm broken in two with both pieces on the hook,this gives a decent scent trail.Moving around is the name of the game.

Homer Simpson
Grayling

Post by Homer Simpson »

I keep trying as I know that better anglers than I, have success in the same fields that I fish, but I always blank :hairpull:

When the same swims are getting back to close to normal, then I can have some red letter days.
I just accept I am very mediocre.

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Homer Simpson wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 4:00 pm I keep trying as I know that better anglers than I, have success in the same fields that I fish, but I always blank :hairpull:

When the same swims are getting back to close to normal, then I can have some red letter days.
I just accept I am very mediocre.
I aspire to being mediocre :Chuckle:
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

AllRounder
Brown Trout

Post by AllRounder »

Chub are certainly catchable in almost all adverse conditions whether floodwater frost or even snow they will feed at some time during the day.
Try to find the areas where they will be comfortable away from the main flow of the river. Smelly baits such as luncheon meat and cheese paste will usually catch a fish or two. Keep at it and don’t be afraid of moving every forty minutes or so.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

:Hat: The best bait for chub I have found - - is bread - flake - crust - paste even! :secret:

But maggot and/or caster also work well - - - trotted when the river is clearer and feeder when coloured - but not too coloured!

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Good old cheese paste fished close to the bank in quiet spots has always worked for me on the Wye. Chub do not fight the current as happily as barbel in my opinion, but find a crease or slack and you will find chub. I also find that at that point when the river peaks, then begins to drop back, they will feed with alcrity.

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

I always come back to a post-Xmas trip to Bredwardine that Rob and I made a few years ago. I can remember we sat on the edge of the bank in the pool at the top of Beat Two and we were dangling our feet in the water (that’s pretty high!).

The rain was coming sideways, the wind was so strong, and a complete tree came down the middle. We caught good chub there, and then every spot below, where the water was at a slow walking pace or slower. Great big torn off lumps of spam - three or four bits threaded up the line.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Return to “Chub (Leuciscus cephalus)”