Hemingways Hardy Fairy fly rod.

The Hardy Rods forum.
Mr B
Arctic Char

Hemingways Hardy Fairy fly rod.

Post by Mr B »

I have been going through some of my Ernest Hemingway notes and come across this one.
It was said that most of his fly fishing tackles were lost ( on a train) but the rod bellow is on display at the American Museum Of Fly Fishing.
I have done a word search on TFF but cant find a mention of that model?
Any thoughts?
The photo bellow not (very good) is of the rod and case.
The rod I think is 8 1/2 feet.

Thanks Gents.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

CrayCane
Chub

Re: Hemingways Hardy Fairy fly rod.

Post by CrayCane »

The Hardy Fairy was in production between 1903 and 1956 apparently. Lengths between 8' 6" and 9' 6".
I have seen them come up occasionally in auctions.
Pete

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

CrayCane wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:26 pm The Hardy Fairy was in production between 1903 and 1956 apparently. Lengths between 8' 6" and 9' 6".
I have seen them come up occasionally in auctions.
Pete
Thanks Pete,
Thats interesting I would like to see the spec in a catalog and picture if there is one around.
I bet they go for a good price when they do come up
Was I right about it not being posted do far on TFF.. I could well be wrong... I just did a word search?
Thanks

Mark
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

CrayCane
Chub

Post by CrayCane »

It's described in this 1914 catalogue which also includes a 10' version: https://splitcaneinfo.com/wp-content/up ... y-1914.pdf
It may also be listed in some of these later catalogues: https://splitcaneinfo.com/?page_id=653

I've not seen any mention on this forum but it is mentioned a few times on the Classic Fly Rod forum: http://classicflyrodforum.com/forum/sea ... y+%2BFairy

Pete

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

There is an extract there by Wm Senior of the Field regarding the rod who was an eminent angling writer of the time and a member of the Red Spinners.

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

CrayCane wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:24 pm It's described in this 1914 catalogue which also includes a 10' version: https://splitcaneinfo.com/wp-content/up ... y-1914.pdf
It may also be listed in some of these later catalogues: https://splitcaneinfo.com/?page_id=653

I've not seen any mention on this forum but it is mentioned a few times on the Classic Fly Rod forum: http://classicflyrodforum.com/forum/sea ... y+%2BFairy

Pete
Blow me! Fantastic information!
Just spent an hour looking through the catalogue.... yes, its there and also in the other links.
One for me to put on my "Bucket List!"
Thanks for the information....
Thats great and another rod mentioned on TFF.

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Olly wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:46 pm There is an extract there by Wm Senior of the Field regarding the rod who was an eminent angling writer of the time and a member of the Red Spinners.
I read that Olly, but cant find it now!!!!
I must have a look again later.
Very interesting...
Red Spinners... Quite an exclusive Club if I'm not mistaken a bit like the Houghton?

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

But not so rich to refuse a USA President a days fishing - - If asked! Or for Mortimer & Whitehouse - who enjoyed their day!!

Page 250 of the 1914 Catalogue under the description of the """Fairy""" rods!

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Olly wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:27 pm But not so rich to refuse a USA President a days fishing - - If asked! Or for Mortimer & Whitehouse - who enjoyed their day!!

Page 250 of the 1914 Catalogue under the description of the """Fairy""" rods!
Yes, got the page number and enjoyed the description..
Finest of English tackle and engineering.
What a catalog!
I lost my one.... it had no front cover.. ( about 1920's) I took it to Hardys about 30 years ago to show them when me and my old dad visited the shop (I was treated like a king and just brought a fly)
Mmm, above.,. There's a price that cracks the best of em!
I'll stick to The LAA or a day ticket.... saying that...
Day tickets... some if the best rivers in England can be had on a day ticket.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

But not necessarily the best sections!

Return to “Hardy Cane Rods”