Car booty with some little gems

The place you will find all those traditional terminal tackle items.
Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Car booty with some little gems

Post by Tonytoned »

Hello Everyone

Saturday 10th September 2022.

Travelling between Hampshire and Dorset this morning, I was early enough to pop into the car boot at Shootash before driving onto Dorset.

There had been a lady selling fishing tackle the weeks previous. Unfortunately she had been ill informed on how much it was worth, she was trying to sell it as a job lot, but after a few weeks I think she realised that it would better to separately. 

Anyway I paid what I thought was a big high at first (£18) but it dawned on me whilst looking through the contents that I did quite well. When I opened up the boxes it was like a little time capsule.

Here are some of the little gems Celluloid (possibly Wadhams Specialities ltd), Harcork Bobbers (some unused), Lee "Black & White" Floats (as seen below) and possibly two early larger bodied Allcocks floats on the right hand side.

The Lee " Black & White Float bottom right in this 1965 Allcocks Anglers Guide.

The contents of the tackle box: there is some unopened Winfield items of tackle and other items of terminal tackle.

The East Anglian Rod Company bait box I thought at first was an Efgeeco bait box. Some more early floats, an old pair of seized up pliers, some Milwards and P.D.Q. metal split shot tins amongst other things.

The contents of the Episeps Tin, line, shot and hooks already tied, this has probably not been opened in years, so I wonder what stories that could tell.

In the throws of purchasing I'd realised what make the cantilever tackle box was... Happy days!

The Efgeeco tackle box in its closed position, the Winfield monofilament on the left has not even been used.

Within the Efgeeco box was this pretty tin with the picture of a Common Blue Butterfly on the lid.

When opened it had all sorts of early hook to nylons. The bottom part of the tin has a dent in the front part of the rim, which I will leave, possibly done by the previous owner.

The manufacturer of the tin: Made in England by Edward Sharp & Sons LTD of Maidstone. Kent.

Thank you for reading, if I am wrong with any of my identifications, please let me know.

:Hat:
Last edited by Tonytoned on Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:44 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Lea Dweller
Pike

Re: Car booty with some little gems

Post by Lea Dweller »

You did well Tony, a good buy! :Hat:
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

Very good haul that. Well done fellow Booter!

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

Very good haul that. Well done fellow Booter!

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

Thank you Gentlemen. :Hat:

MWithell
Chub

Post by MWithell »

Well done. I almost never see tackle at car boot sales.
Malcolm

Catching lob-worms is one of the greater Outdoor Sports. It is the most hilarious game in the world (John C Moore)

Splitcaner
Ruffe

Post by Splitcaner »

More questions need answering please, on my weekly trip to the flea market I picked up a number of nice items as a job lot for the princely sum of £5, namely a bamboo landing net handle with a mottled finish similar to a leopard type look, two rods both bamboo or Spanish reed one missing a top section, both with reels attached one reel a vintage Diawa 730H the other a Mitchell CAP 304. I think one of the rods the complete 3 section rod maybe a Allcocks of some type, it has a wooden handle with brass fittings all the guides except the top one in good condition the bottom and top guide are both lined it looks like clear lining, the top ring is there but broken needs soldering. Any ideas on this one please also it needs a screw in butt end. The end tip is some kind of wood it curves a bit can it be straightened without removing all the other guides, I dont want to do too much everything else looks complete and original, the other rod I will just strip down. The butt end thread are they all standard. Hope someone can provide some answers please. John.

Wanderer
Brown Trout

Post by Wanderer »

I think you have done very well.
I would certainly have paid £18.. for those gems.
"Not all those who Wander are Lost !"

Return to “Traditional Terminal Tackle”