CHALLENGER SPOOLS

The K. P. Morritts Reels forum.
Russell Brown
Rudd

CHALLENGER SPOOLS

Post by Russell Brown »

ImageImage
Dear KPM Addicts,I put these two Challenger Spools on Obay but got no interest at all.They are both unused,mint and boxed NOS.........First reply will get 'em for nuffink.....PM your address.Happy to post to your shabby flat in Tower Hamlets (opposite the sewage filtration plant) or your ostentatious fishing lodge on the Tay.

Aitch
Pike

Re: CHALLENGER SPOOLS

Post by Aitch »

Will they fit an Elite...?
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Russell Brown
Rudd

Post by Russell Brown »

Aitch wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:16 am Will they fit an Elite...?
Aitch,I think not 😫

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

Oh well, never mind...😎👍
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Stingray
Grayling

Post by Stingray »

Hi, Russell. PMd.

Interesting points about the Intrepid Challenger.

The Challenger was only made for a very short time before being superseded by the similar but improved Super Twin. The Super Twin had completely different, push-button release spools.

In the USA the Challenger as we know it was not released. However, its successor, the Super Twin, was released under the name "Challenger".

Cheers :Hat:

JAA
Crucian Carp

Post by JAA »

Stingray wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:14 pm Hi, Russell. PMd.

Interesting points about the Intrepid Challenger.

The Challenger was only made for a very short time before being superseded by the similar but improved Super Twin. The Super Twin had completely different, push-button release spools.

In the USA the Challenger as we know it was not released. However, its successor, the Super Twin, was released under the name "Challenger".

Cheers :Hat:
I've still got mine, had it since 1974. It was a pretty good design, dual bale arm springs, a reasonable slipping clutch (in the spool) and a neat fold-away and easily swappable handle. Plus the spools had a chenille to stop line tangling around the spindle.

If the bale arm roller had been made of something other than chrome plated brass, it would have been better. Once the chrome wore through, the line went through the brass like it was cheese.
¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´¯ ><(((º>
Cole aka JAA
https://crucians.org/
https://www.anotherangler.net/

Stingray
Grayling

Post by Stingray »

JAA wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 5:10 pm If the bale arm roller had been made of something other than chrome plated brass, it would have been better. Once the chrome wore through, the line went through the brass like it was cheese.
Being a roller pickup there would usually only be any wear if the roller had run out of lube and seized at some point. That said, Intrepid did do a fair trade in spare parts I believe.

JAA
Crucian Carp

Post by JAA »

Stingray wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 6:10 am
JAA wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 5:10 pm If the bale arm roller had been made of something other than chrome plated brass, it would have been better. Once the chrome wore through, the line went through the brass like it was cheese.
Being a roller pickup there would usually only be any wear if the roller had run out of lube and seized at some point. That said, Intrepid did do a fair trade in spare parts I believe.
True, on both counts. I repaired mine by posting (remember that :Wink: ) an order for bale springs and line rollers. But a harder material wouldn't have hurt...
¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´¯ ><(((º>
Cole aka JAA
https://crucians.org/
https://www.anotherangler.net/

Tony.J.Newman
Silver Bream

Post by Tony.J.Newman »

I remember my first proper reel, a Black Prince. It had a wire bale, no roller. Used for everything, but reeling in herring deadbaits used for piking really grooved it up!

Return to “K. P. Morritts Reels”