1927 Hardy Brothers "The Match Roach Rod."

The Hardy Rods forum.
AshbyCut
Honorary President

1927 Hardy Brothers "The Match Roach Rod."

Post by AshbyCut »

The temptation was too much ... despite all the work it will need ... but I think I have one last refurbishment in me.

Soon to be winging it's way in my direction as this Hardy Brothers "The Match Roach Rod," as described in my copy of the "1937 Hardy's Super Bottom Fishing Tackle" Catalogue :-

I already had a 1927 dated 11ft., 3 piece version of the rod ... but to see a 1927 dated 11ft., 2 piece version and I knew I had to have it.

One of the reel rings has the number 'G16270' stamped into it ... confirming the year of manufacture.

The seller was honest enough to say

that the rod is 10ft. 11in. when complete ... but I didn't think an inch was enough to make a difference to the action ... which I am eagerly looking forward comparing with the 3 piece side by side.

As this couple of pictures show it will need a complete strip and sort out.

... but I'll do my best to do it justice.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Barbelseeker
Brown Trout

Re: 1927 Hardy Brothers "The Match Roach Rod."

Post by Barbelseeker »

I look forward to the progress

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

I look forward to seeing the progress Mal but never say never!

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Well done Mal, I very much doubt it will be your last refurb. Looking forward to seeing the result.

Wal.

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

A fine and rather rare acquisition there Mal, looking forward to seeing it restored to its former glory :Thumb:
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

AllRounder
Brown Trout

Post by AllRounder »

Well done Mal glad it’s found a good home. Looking forward to the seeing the end result. :Hat:

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Well ... the rod arrived about 4 days earlier than I expected ... (credit to the seller, and DHL ... credit where it's due !!!).

I'm still recovering from the fact that an 11ft. rod can weigh in at 7.9oz (283gr on my digital scales) !!!

My steel tape measures the rod from tip guide to butt cap at a meagre 3/16ths of an inch from the standard 11ft. !!!

The one surprise was that the rod reminds me of J. H. R. Bazeley's rod, his ... "old companion of many victories' ... 'described by a facetious critic as 'a dog's hind leg with more wrappings than Jack Hobbs' favourite bat' ((the butt comprises 6 ... yes 6 ... spliced whole cane sections !!!))

Gentle application of my heat gun will rectify this minor eccentricity during the restoration !!!

It may take some time ... but I will keep you all informed of progress !!!
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Is it whole cane Mal or reed. I have seen a Hardy reed rod which was spliced at every node, presumably to strengthen the rod but it also gave a much nicer look without those waisted reed nodes.

I can see this rod getting your fullest attention during the revamp and look forward to the occasional preview of work in progress.

Wal.

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

Lovely rod Mal, the early Hardy rods are a joy, both to behold and to use.

Having looked carefully at the photo's, both the close spacing and the 'waisted' appearance of the nodes, lead me to think the rod may be made from reed.
The weight of the rod at 7.9oz would certainly support this. I could be wrong of course, but if it is reed, It will need very careful use of the heat gun...

Good luck with the restoration.

Edit;
Sorry Wal, didn't read your reply before posting.
The butt joint also has the mottling/stained appearance of reed.
As I said earlier, I could be wrong...

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 8:46 amIs it whole cane Mal or reed ?
Crucian wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:47 pmthe rod may be made from reed.
Gentlemen Both ... I had already thought this ... but the 'Bottom Fishing Tackle' catalogue specifically ""The butt .... and lower portion of the top are made from a tough light-weight bamboo" ... though the butt does bear that typical 'staining' of reed ... and the bottom half of the tip doesn't.

It is entirely possible that Hardy lumped reed in with cane as we know it under a 'bamboo' umbrella.

Hopefully someone more knowledgable than I will be along soon to elucidate ! :Hat:

Return to “Hardy Cane Rods”