Traditional Rod and Reel

Other traditional odds and sods can be found in here.
BF60
Minnow

Traditional Rod and Reel

Post by BF60 »

Wasn't sure where to post this so sorry if it's in the wrong place.
Can anyone suggest a traditional rod and reel for float fishing in the sea? I would love to fish traditionally for coarse fish but there aren't any where I live so the sea it has to be
All suggestions greatly appreciated.

Banksy
Brown Trout

Re: Traditional Rod and Reel

Post by Banksy »

From the beach, from low rocks, high cliffs, from a pier or from a boat?
I don't have an answer for you, but this information would help anyone who can assist.
:Wink:

BF60
Minnow

Post by BF60 »

Be mostly fishing from a pier.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Most glass Carp rods or heavy spinning rods are ok for float fishing from the pier. A drop net will probably be needed if lifting a fish up the pier wall.
Mind you, I do have a 2lb tc glass carp rod that can swing a 2lb Mackerel in if you get the timing right.

Champ
Chub

Post by Champ »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 4:33 pm Most glass Carp rods or heavy spinning rods are ok for float fishing from the pier. A drop net will probably be needed if lifting a fish up the pier wall.
Mind you, I do have a 2lb tc glass carp rod that can swing a 2lb Mackerel in if you get the timing right.
I agree.Hollow glass rods are my choice for sea fishing.Saltwater is hard on glass rods and would ruin cane in my opinion.There are various glass rods that i would class as traditional that can be used for all types of sea fishing,and can be found at good prices.

MWithell
Chub

Post by MWithell »

Some of the old Abu rods are very tough, and will take most things thrown at them.
Malcolm

Catching lob-worms is one of the greater Outdoor Sports. It is the most hilarious game in the world (John C Moore)

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

if you do not mind saying, what area are you fishing and what species do you expect ro catch ?

As said above, fibreglass is the way forward, there are any number of solid or hollow glass rods that would do the job in my opinion. The reel would probably be a more difficult choice.

I have a number of “glass” rods and vintage reels that I use for sea fishing, dependant upon what species you are looking at targetting . Mullet would be fine with a hollow glass heavy float rod in harbours or estuaries, the fish would probably give you a run around but the rod could handle it no problem.

Piers, you would really need hollow or solid glass rod designed for the purpose, and preferrably a multiplier, vintage fixed spools were more geared for flat beaches, but the horizonral gear train of a multiplier would take the strain much more effectively with less chance of gears mashing .

As said. I have quite a collection of vintage sea gear , if you provide a bit more information I should be able to give you some pointers.
Whatever you do, each bit of vintage salt water gear you use, should be thoroughly cleaned down, washed with freshwater and dried carefully after
each session.

David
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

BF60
Minnow

Post by BF60 »

I fish in the Moray Firth the main catch is coalfish and cod,mackerel in season. On the bottom it's mainly dab and flounder with small turbot,plaice and bass as a bonus.

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

Mackerel, you could spin with a single lure using a Fibreglass Avon / Carp rod , and matching fixed spool, probably a Mitchell 300, that would be one to put on your list . 15 lbs mono main line, its what I use from the rock marks in Cornwall.
The Cod , Coalies and flats /bass from a pier, an Abu 484 matched with either an Abu 7000 multiplier ( vintage model, they do come up occasionally ) or a smaller Abu 6500 the vintage Abus are quite collecteable though. If you are adventurous you could find an intrepid Seastreak multiplier , they used to be called seashriek because of the noise they made,they were often adapted by cutting out the brake blades .I did that to mine way back in the day.

My vintage setup for beaches is an Abu 484 and a Mitchell 486 fixed spool, occasionally a vintage Abu 7000.

There are other fibreglass rods that would do the trick for the Cod and Coalies, Any fibreglass beach rod of that era should be capable .

Hope this helps.

David
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

I think you need something with some backbone as you may need to cast some distance with a lead heavy enough to overcome tide or swell, not to mention lifting fish up from the water. I used to use a Sundridge 2lbtc fast taper hollow glass rod for pike, pier fishing and rock fishing on calm days. I've had many species on it and it always did the business either with fixed spool or multiplayer.

Return to “Other Traditional Items of Tackle”