Gonks Galore!

This forum is for discussing gudgeon.
Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Re: Gonks Galore!

Post by Dave Burr »

PershoreHarrier wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 12:12 pm Well done Moley. I must admit I am thinking of attending the Gonk Fest this year. My days (many years ago) of attracting the Gonks was down to using maggots on a size 18 hook but as I cannot use any form of livebait anymore I have been somewhat reluctant to join the Gonk Fest as I doubt I would be contributing much at all. However, a chat with Dave Burr seems to have resolved that issue as someone has to come last and fail and in that I have his total confidence. :Hahaha:
When I said to use bare gooks or soap as bait, I was only joking :Chuckle:

Come and join the fun Keith, you'll love it and you'll get to meet some of the weirdos that enjoy such things. Fishing in a straight jacket is tough but possible. :Wink:

Nice gonking Moley but you'll need to be on your best game in September :Wink:

Moley
Brown Trout

Post by Moley »

Pallenpool wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:50 am That’s a beauty Moley, I seem to remember a comment on one of my threads by your goodself - it suggested you couldn’t take a photograph? Lovely stuff sir.
:Hat:
Photos are a bit hit and miss. Also cameras have a very short life span in Mole hands. Matron :Scared: won't let Fatty touch her cameras as two have previously demised by drowning under unfortunate circumstance........,. they were both very expensive!

Suffice to say pictures on the old box brownie have to do!
PershoreHarrier wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 12:12 pm Well done Moley. I must admit I am thinking of attending the Gonk Fest this year. My days (many years ago) of attracting the Gonks was down to using maggots on a size 18 hook but as I cannot use any form of livebait anymore I have been somewhat reluctant to join the Gonk Fest as I doubt I would be contributing much at all. However, a chat with Dave Burr seems to have resolved that issue as someone has to come last and fail and in that I have his total confidence. :Hahaha:
Get thee to the Gonk Fest no excuses as the little blighters take bread and plastic baits too. But don't listen to that Dave Burr as soap and gooks are not baits persons of a more normal persuasion would recommend........he is a very naughty boy!
Dave Burr wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 12:57 pm
When I said to use bare gooks or soap as bait, I was only joking :Chuckle:

Come and join the fun Keith, you'll love it and you'll get to meet some of the weirdos that enjoy such things. Fishing in a straight jacket is tough but possible. :Wink:

Nice gonking Moley but you'll need to be on your best game in September :Wink:
At my age Dave it is a miracle Fatty is still game at any level.

What can one say but Gonks love Fatty, they always have. Maybe they are drawn to the pies and tea or could it be the singing, albeit slightly off key.

Still thinking about it Frank Sinatra made a tidy living doing just that reaching the height of his powers with Nelson Ridldle on his best albums from the early 1950's. Fatty does his best singing with a cheaper version of the great band leader and arranger.......Jimmy Riddle!

Anyways on that thought, time to go.

As ever,....

Moley
Say aye tae'a pie!

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Moley wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:11 am
Lea Dweller wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:27 pm Well done Moley, a lovely mixed catch! Also nice to see a fine L.A.A. size limit ruler in action!! :Thumb:
Purchased from you Ted. Fatty utilised his meagre woodwork skills to make the wooden surround.

Have you still got that Bill Rushmer rod you had on display at Romsey?

Thanks to everyone who takes the time to comment as it encourages further drivel about fishing from Fatty.

As ever, .....

Moley
I knew the ruler was purchased from me, the wooden surround is excellent! I have decided not to sell the Bill Rushmer rod, but I do still have the Green Auger Match Queen rod that you expressed an interest in? :Hat:
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

GameKeeper
Bleak

Post by GameKeeper »

Well done,I will always remember my1st one from my local park lake in 1959.

Wallyboy Rob
Chub
Location: On the Wally as often as possible ( Portsmouth area)

Post by Wallyboy Rob »

You'd be more than welcome on a Wally Gonk Jolly Keith, our Gonks don't mind a bit of bread, in the near future I'm going to see if they take pearl barley. Besides it would be worth the trip for Aitch's Jackie's cakes and sausage rolls and Moley's pork pie (you need to be quick for that)
going with the flow - You gotta luv them gonks

"There's no way you're going to get a quote from us to use on your book cover" Metropolitan Police spokesperson
from the back cover of Wall and piece - Banksy

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

Wallyboy Rob wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:36 pm
You'd be more than welcome on a Wally Gonk Jolly Keith, our Gonks don't mind a bit of bread, in the near future I'm going to see if they take pearl barley. Besides it would be worth the trip for Aitch's Jackie's cakes and sausage rolls and Moley's pork pie (you need to be quick for that)
Wallyboy Rob - I would be delighted to join you all BUT I note the event is held on a Saturday which I cannot make as I spend Saturday afternoons with my eldest son supporting Kidderminster Harriers FC and we have been doing that for well over 20years and missing a single game in a season is as rare as finding some hen's teeth. If you have a Saturday outside the football season then I will be there or perhaps even a Sunday. As a point of interest I normally have a pork pie in my lunch bag when I go fishing so I guess that would need to be changed to a lockable lunch box to keep out marauding pie eaters.

Wallyboy Rob
Chub
Location: On the Wally as often as possible ( Portsmouth area)

Post by Wallyboy Rob »

That's a shame Keith, if you're ever in the Portsmouth area let me know and I'll sort a guest ticket for you
going with the flow - You gotta luv them gonks

"There's no way you're going to get a quote from us to use on your book cover" Metropolitan Police spokesperson
from the back cover of Wall and piece - Banksy

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

It's a shame you won't be there Keith, I'd love to see you catch a single large bream whilst all around are honking away :Chuckle:
See you next week matey, when you'll doubtless wave a massive crucian under my nose as I'm covered in skimmer slime :Hat:

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

I located a gaggle of gudgeon yesterday and was very pleased to see them.

Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Silfield
Brown Trout

Post by Silfield »

Tengisgol wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:06 pm I located a gaggle of gudgeon yesterday and was very pleased to see them.

A wonderful Gonk Phil, I had a good one from the Wensum a couple of weeks ago, unfortunately it made a break for freedom milliseconds before the shutter went off....
:Hahaha: :Hahaha:
“There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind.”
Washington Irving

Return to “Gudgeon (Gobio gobio)”