copper wrapping wire

The Chapmans Rods forum.
Gilbert
Rudd

Re: copper wrapping wire

Post by Gilbert »

Olly wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:11 pm I have a matching pair of 500s courtesy of Paul Cook's hands! Delightful.
any pics Olly? i always like to see the various approaches to getting cane back into use .

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

That's one thing I cannot do - pictures!

OldRod
Grayling

Post by OldRod »

Gilbert that looks superb - lovely work!
I am now going to have to seek out an old rod for a refurb project!
If I can't find a Chapmans I am enough of a Philistine to do a rod from another maker in this fashion. (so long as it is not a "classic")
At the end of the game, the pawn and the King go back into the same box........

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

There were other makers - Hardy - Sharpe's of Aberdeen - Aspindale had a few - etc. Mostly those pre-WWII makers.

Gilbert
Rudd

Post by Gilbert »

OldRod wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:00 am Gilbert that looks superb - lovely work!
If I can't find a Chapmans I am enough of a Philistine to do a rod from another maker in this fashion. (so long as it is not a "classic")
Hi Keith

thanks for your comment .

there are plenty of 500 s around and you don't want a good one --as long as the cane is good and is full length you have the raw materials for a decent build . i bought mine for £70 and it looked very shabby , but it is a very decent rod now and you would struggle to get me to part with it at any price .

same with the rod in the pics . my pal paid £50 for that with a very interesting set in it that took all of 10 minutes to sort out when the rod was stripped . the Fuji BNHG rings it was wearing went in the parts bin and replaced with pukka period rings from the same bin . the plastic butt cap was changed for a cork trumpet and the build commenced -- so nothing complicated and a good result . all up cost less than £100 even if the rings had been bought. just don't buy the first rod you see . look for a tatty cheap one .all you need is a decent bit of cane even if the rod looks dreadful at 1st sight
G

OldRod
Grayling

Post by OldRod »

Gilbert wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:16 pm
OldRod wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:00 am Gilbert that looks superb - lovely work!
Hi Keith

thanks for your comment .

there are plenty of 500 s around and you don't want a good one --as long as the cane is good and is full length you have the raw materials for a decent build . i bought mine for £70 and it looked very shabby , but it is a very decent rod now and you would struggle to get me to part with it at any price .

same with the rod in the pics . my pal paid £50 for that with a very interesting set in it that took all of 10 minutes to sort out when the rod was stripped . the Fuji BNHG rings it was wearing went in the parts bin and replaced with pukka period rings from the same bin . the plastic butt cap was changed for a cork trumpet and the build commenced -- so nothing complicated and a good result . all up cost less than £100 even if the rings had been bought. just don't buy the first rod you see . look for a tatty cheap one .all you need is a decent bit of cane even if the rod looks dreadful at 1st sight
G
HI gilbert
For some mysterious reason I have only just seen your post.
I have actually refurbished a 500 some time ago but there was no copper on the rod at all. I did it with wine coloured whipping, and after advice from John Chapman (lovely bloke) added a ring to make it a de luxe. Not strictly to original whipping pattern, but I am happy with it.
Best wishes
Keith

Gilbert
Rudd

Post by Gilbert »

glad you refurbed a 500. Chapmans were always stingy with rings for the 500, which spoilt a great rod . i use 7 rings as they used on the Legerstrike , set to a pattern i am happy with. the 6 you have used will be fine .(i am always sceptical of cane rod manufacturers ring spacings and prefer to use my own , unless i am doing a replica resto in which case i stick to the book. )
my rod was very unusual in having worn copper from new . John Chapman said none did but his memory is at fault because mine did. i took it off but now think that was an error of judgement and i may replace it . .....later.
whatever , the 500 is one of the great cane rods . mine will never be sold , and you will have hours of fun using yours . may i suggest you fit a screw tip. they are a fine rod to use with a swingtip, and are one of the few cane rods that have a tip that is robust enough the handle the extra weight .
yep JC is a very pleasant bloke to chat with .....like many on here he is getting no younger .
if you are looking for another rod to refurb may i suggest an Octofloat . it makes a great companion to the 500.
G

OldRod
Grayling

Post by OldRod »

I did add a 7th ring Gilbert to upgrade it to the de luxe spec. (as I say, after advice from John)
And great minds...etc. etc. I also acquired (again from John) a threaded tip ring, because, like you, I enjoy a bit of swing tipping.
Yes a super rod and one I will not part with.
Atb
Keith

Gilbert
Rudd

Post by Gilbert »

OldRod wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 2:31 pm I did add a 7th ring Gilbert to upgrade it to the de luxe spec. (as I say, after advice from John)
And great minds...etc. etc. I also acquired (again from John) a threaded tip ring, because, like you, I enjoy a bit of swing tipping.
Yes a super rod and one I will not part with.
Atb
Keith
a small confusion . i used 7 intermediate rings + the tip. = 8 in total

here is a poor pic of my old stick.

Gilbert
Rudd

Post by Gilbert »

ImageHere's a better one . the tippets are green , slowly ageing to black

Return to “Chapmans Cane Rods”