Canvas rod holdall

Other traditional odds and sods can be found in here.
Champ
Chub

Re: Canvas rod holdall

Post by Champ »

Like Wallys - Cast mine was made by Stephens of Birmingham.It was pale a green colour though.

Coral Maestro
Chub

Post by Coral Maestro »

I've had this one for about 40 years! I think it's either an Efgeeco or possibly Pegley Davies?
The original metal buckles were replaced with plastic clip-together jobs some time ago. It had a wooden dowel stiffener in a narrow pocket to provide some security for the rods and rigidity. It also had a short handle that was looped around the dowel but that disappeared when the dowel broke.
The cotton twill ties that fixed the rods in place have long since rotted away apart from the couple that can still be seen.
It also has an umbrella and bank stick pocket with flaps secured by press studs.
The material seems to be some sort of cloth reinforced plastic.
What do they know of fishing who know only one fish and one way to fish for him?
- Jack Hargreaves.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Coral Maestro wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:25 pm I've had this one for about 40 years! I think it's either an Efgeeco or possibly Pegley Davies?
The original metal buckles were replaced with plastic clip-together jobs some time ago. It had a wooden dowel stiffener in a narrow pocket to provide some security for the rods and rigidity. It also had a short handle that was looped around the dowel but that disappeared when the dowel broke.
The cotton twill ties that fixed the rods in place have long since rotted away apart from the couple that can still be seen.
It also has an umbrella and bank stick pocket with flaps secured by press studs.
The material seems to be some sort of cloth reinforced plastic.
That's a nice sized holdall, some are a bit too optimistic when it comes to the amount of things you could have rolled up inside them.

Return to “Other Traditional Items of Tackle”