North Bucks Grand Union

This forum belong to the Grand Union Canal.
Duckett
Tench

Re: North Bucks Grand Union

Post by Duckett »

Hovis wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:18 pm Not sure a rethink is 100% needed. The legislation relating to the keeping of fish was overhauled a few years back and is very good. Strong legislation is nothing without enforcement and regulation though.
The wildlife and countryside act is enforced by the EA. I'd humbly suggest that the police have greater issues to deal with than anglers dropping zander back where they have come from.

The CRT and Zander. Link below. I think the decision to remove is theirs and theirs alone. The science is poor on this one. I've only ever seen a single paper looking at the impact of zander on turbid linear water (read canals). They eat a surprising number of bullhead! They might reduce the numbers but they'll NEVER eradicate them. Apparently they fetch a good price at billingsgate.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.anglin ... nal-match/
Zander probably fetch a good price at Billingsgate because, in my opinion at least, they are the tastiest freshwater fish! Unlike some freshwater fish, they are also easy to prepare, fillet and cook. I can never resist it when I see it in restaurants in central and eastern France.

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Hovis
Tench

Post by Hovis »

Duckett wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:57 pm
Hovis wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:18 pm Not sure a rethink is 100% needed. The legislation relating to the keeping of fish was overhauled a few years back and is very good. Strong legislation is nothing without enforcement and regulation though.
The wildlife and countryside act is enforced by the EA. I'd humbly suggest that the police have greater issues to deal with than anglers dropping zander back where they have come from.

The CRT and Zander. Link below. I think the decision to remove is theirs and theirs alone. The science is poor on this one. I've only ever seen a single paper looking at the impact of zander on turbid linear water (read canals). They eat a surprising number of bullhead! They might reduce the numbers but they'll NEVER eradicate them. Apparently they fetch a good price at billingsgate.

Zander probably fetch a good price at Billingsgate because, in my opinion at least, they are the tastiest freshwater fish! Unlike some freshwater fish, they are also easy to prepare, fillet and cook. I can never resist it when I see it in restaurants in central and eastern France.

Phil
Oh I agree. To most UK anglers the taking of fish (other than trout) is alien. Many are missing out.
I have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing.

Izaak Walton

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Hovis wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:17 pm
Duckett wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:57 pm

Phil
Oh I agree. To most UK anglers the taking of fish (other than trout) is alien. Many are missing out.
Taking invasive species for the pot really doesn’t bother me. Though my favourite, and most often taken, are American Signal Crayfish. There’s nothing like them boiled fresh. With Zander, I very much doubt that if every single one caught in the U.K. was taken for the pot that it would even have much impact on reducing them.

PHIL
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Very disappointed with sandre in France. The western region I go to has pike, zander, eels amongst its specialities - for the French themselves!
Personally I enjoy Maigre, skate, sole plus Mogettes and duck.

Problem with Signals is that many are not suitable to eat and tons taken from the Kennet went to feed otters in small zoos, etc.

Although in the Thames I am yet to catch a zander!

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Olly wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:29 pm Very disappointed with sandre in France. The western region I go to has pike, zander, eels amongst its specialities - for the French themselves!
Personally I enjoy Maigre, skate, sole plus Mogettes and duck.

Problem with Signals is that many are not suitable to eat and tons taken from the Kennet went to feed otters in small zoos, etc.

Although in the Thames I am yet to catch a zander!
That’s interesting re: your experience of Sandre in France. It’s always been lovely when I’ve had it.

I’m always cautious with shellfish but not had a problem with Signals from the Lea north of Waltham Abbey.

Phil

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Will be back again this year! Moggies to about 150 or more on my doorstep there. Had rudd to 2+ as well as mullet to 4+.

I found Sandre quite bland - perhaps they way it has been cooked/presented.

Yet to see Wels on the menu but I know they do eat them!

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Olly wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:21 pm Will be back again this year! Moggies to about 150 or more on my doorstep there. Had rudd to 2+ as well as mullet to 4+.

I found Sandre quite bland - perhaps they way it has been cooked/presented.

Yet to see Wels on the menu but I know they do eat them!
Enjoy! If you are as adventurous as me and haven't tried it, see if you can find Lamproie à la Bordelaise. It tends to be only available around the Gironde and in the Dordogne but, 10 years on, my taste buds are still thanking me!

Phil

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

''Henry I died of a surfeit of lamprey!!''

I use them as bait for chub and pike - - just full of blood! But whose blood you might ask! :Hat:

Foie Gras - duck or goose with steak - - - John Dory - - - and lots of thing never seen over here!

Had Cheval in the far north of France and in Belgium - a very sweet taste - with Bob James.

My wife misread the menu and had brains - not monkey ones but sheep! Didn't enjoy it at all!! :Scared:

Rutland Rod
Arctic Char

Post by Rutland Rod »

Without debating the rights and wrongs of this a chap I know used to fish the fens when Zander at the time were prolific and there was encouragement to remove them, he did this with some success and supplied a restaurant and couple of fish and chip shops ! in Kettering not known for its culinary excellence...I’m unclear as to how they were marketed though !
The GU in and around Market Harborough has Zander although I’ve not heard of any double figure fish ( yet ) being taken.

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

I bet more of us have eaten catfish than we know! I understand some fish and chip shops have passed it off as cod for many years…
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Return to “Grand Union Canal”